Season is Over --- What's Next ?

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Doc E, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Our hunting seasons ended on Jan 28, so now we are getting back into dog training and running in Hunt Tests, mostly HRC and possibly one or two NAHRA and AKC tests.
    We are starting out here :
    Prado Basin HRC March Test 2018
    United Kennel Club Regular Licensed Hunt
    Saturday March 3, 2018
    AND
    Sunday March 4, 2018
    Hunt Location:
    Prado dog park
    Chino, CA
    Advanced Entries Close: Friday, February 23, 2018 11:59:59 PM Eastern Time(ET)
    Prado Basin HRC
    /www.facebook.com/prado-basin-hrc-227577400586419/

We will run in at least one -- sometimes two every month during the Spring and summer.
    What does everyone else have planned ?

2. Gander-Commander

Gander-Commander Refuge Member

Not looking that far ahead yet. My 13 year old BLM just passed away last Friday(posted on the Idaho Forum) and I have my name on a litter list. Just waiting for the breeding to happen! I plan to attend a couple local hunt tests to get a feel for how the dogs work, how the dogs are handled, etc. Something to look forward to and give a try with the new dog next year.

3. Hogleg

Hogleg Senior Refuge Member

Back to training, when the weather and sunlight allows. Will probably run started or junior this summer. Leaning towards started as it will be at our HRC club.

4. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

We need to get back to a better training routine. Hoping to run some Seasoned tests this spring/summer.

5. Trout Bum

Trout Bum Senior Refuge Member

Hunt dark geese til mid February. Plant spring wheat in feed strips and water impoundment mid-March. Hunt spring turkey mid-April, fish and plant jap millet early July. Bighorn River in August then teal season in September.

6. ripline

ripline Elite Refuge Member

Waiting for new puppy to arrive. Then is time to ramp up training again!!!:grvn

7. JBdogboy

JBdogboy Refuge Member

I think I'm going to try and take it a little easy and just enjoy the time I have left with my old boy (Bubba). Boy is the grey muzzle showing up and the nails just keep getting longer. The younger one (JB) hunt test season is just going to have to go on hold I owe it to Bubba. I didn't get the chance do it Rooster I'm not going to miss this golden time with Bubba. IMG_20170301_121949834.jpg IMG_20170301_122035908.jpg

Hogleg and Timber Hole like this.
  8. ripline

ripline Elite Refuge Member

My old boy Speck is 11 and I noticed a little slow down in his recovery time between hunts last season. Our female "B" is 7 has gladly accepted more hunting.
    Pup is coming in April and I hope to have him trained to a point where he can have some fun this fall without expecting much from him until his training is through transition.
    As we have moved since formally training B and Speck, I am having fun lining up areas to train.

9. Doc E

I don't know where in ID you are, but there will be an HRC Test near Missoula sometime this Spring.

10. Doc E

First, sorry to hear about your 'old man' -- they definitely go far too soon.
    Where in ID are you ?
    The HRC Club near Missoula has a nice test in late Spring every year.