Season recap

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Flyway Forum' started by Dog guy, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Dog guy

Dog guy Senior Refuge Member

Thinking back on the season. This one was a really steady, solid season. Ducks migrated through well throughout the season. October was surprisingly strong around here with several pushes of new birds hitting fields. Still many mallards around.
    Particularly good season on woodies in the fields. For sure the most ever shot by me in a season for those beautiful birds.
    Geese were always present and still are here in huge numbers. As I type this there are many, many flying over my house to roost on Lake Mendota.
    All in all a great season. Grade it as an A-.

2. pud123

pud123 Elite Refuge Member

Had a solid season. Early goose was decent with limited time out. Did not target any early season teal for the second year due to the dates not lining up well for me. Duck season was good, killed ducks when I targeted them, minus the last weekend, stupid ducks. Goose season was very good, if not great. The month of December was fantastic hunting using many different techniques to target them. Pheasants have been a little down from last year for me but that is all timing related for me. I will say that I met some of the nicest land owners in my lengthy career of knocking on doors this year. There will be a lengthy sausage and fish list this coming off season. Got to hunt with a bunch of people, besides the normal hooligans. Hard not to grade it as an A for the season. Looking forward to next year already, a few days left in pheasant season then to eat up the rest of my bird package into March or so. Hopefully everyone that hunted with me enjoyed it, if not my apologies.

Ducker 4 Ever likes this.
  3. gillbilly

gillbilly Elite Refuge Member

My season was filled with highs and lows. Struggled with inconsiderate hunters, getting on the X and my shooting. The last 2 weeks of goose season was great around Madison, was able to stay on them almost daily. Did well on pheasants but mostly because I had most of November off and could scout the chicken truck. Spent time with friends and family so overall A+.

Ducker 4 Ever and pud123 like this.
  4. marsh man dan

marsh man dan Elite Refuge Member

I would say it was a good season just for the fact I got out more this year then previous years. Ducks were good on October then I struggled in November. Geese were got and miss not in the typical area that they usually ate until Dec then it picked up. But overall always a great season just to be right side up. Now the work starts have a 11 year old to get ready for next season atleast gives me more excuses to get out shooting n more

Ducker 4 Ever likes this.
  5. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

Just didn't get into it this year, only hunted a handful of times. Just tired of putting all the work in just to have some nimrod set up downwind 75 yards, figured it be best if I took a break before making the headlines. Contemplating selling all my gear and concentrating on predators and pine goats.

6. Ruff

Ruff Elite Refuge Member

2nd year in a row that I didn’t hunt waterfowl at all. Running bear from July - mid October and then the deer rut and gun season just consumes all my time.
    Day after Christmas heading to Missouri for a late season Muzzleloader hunt and then predators running bobcat and coyotes.
    Happy to see many have had great seasons.

Merry Christmas

7. woodiefanatic

woodiefanatic Senior Refuge Member

One of my best seasons for me. Mallard numbers for me where down a bit but that was my own fault. Steady birds all year up until the last weekend when they seemed to vanish overnight. Then about Wednesday I noticed everything filling up again. Got burned on many mallard hunts this year due to either poor cover or being just off the X. Goals for next year is to get some blinds bought/built and try and flex some work hours to get a little better scouting in come Nov. Also the dog will get her time to shine next year. Probably won't shoot much as I'll be helping her figure things out. Unfortunately she hyper extended her back left knee in October and it's been a pain trying to get it healed up good. Praying that it's not gonna bother her the rest of her life. Screenshot_20171223-105453.png Snapchat-2053769607.jpg

8. FAIRCHASE

FAIRCHASE Senior Refuge Member

Early goose was the best I ever had. Regular goose and the duck season poor at best. Most of the problem was most of the farms I have hunted for years had no corn that or it was not cut till season was over. I did shoot more wood ducks than I have in a lot of seasons. Poor mallard year also. Had a good 3 days in South Dakota on snow geese this spring. I'm retiring in the next month and plan on a lot of days in the field next year. I've have already talked to most of the farmers I have hunted on and I have the ok for next fall. I'm going to be asking a lot more soon. Doctor tells me my knees are shot but it WILL NOT slow me down. Arthritis in both knees and no cartilage left in right. I'm going to hunt while I still can. They tell me surgery will only make the arthritis worse. All the hunting and work from all that I have put it thru in catching up to me but it was FUN!

Ducker 4 Ever, take'm and GK1 like this.
  9. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

Broken skiff(ladder) rack on the truck.

Eleven Bigfoot Goose floaters shot.
    Two Bigfoot full body decoys shot
    Seven Herters duck decoys shot
    One Herters blue bill decoy head broke
    One Bigfoot mallard decoy shot

Two boat props dinged
    Power head gasket replaced on 25hp
    New Spark plugs and wires on 25hp
    Starter solenoid replaced
    Two new leaks in 16foot boat
    Boat blind camo ripped
    Front handle on 12ft boat broke
    Point blind left his thermos in the boat

One pair of waders cut by bard wire.
    One pair of waders has a seam leaking
    Lost wader belt

Benelli Super Vinci at Gunsmith for new recoil spring
    Benelli Super Nova at Gunsmith for worn extractor. Both waiting for parts.

Lost three 10ga shells

Tucker’s e-coller charger broke.

10. Lmbkiller

Lmbkiller Senior Refuge Member

And partridge in a pear tree(singing)......sounds like a heck of a run this season for a lot u. I hunted more than I have the last 2-3 seasons and I would rate mine as a B to B-