Alabama Flyway Forum Sponsors

season so far

Discussion in 'Alabama Flyway Forum' started by olivedrab, Dec 31, 2003.

1. olivedrab

olivedrab Refuge Member

Rate your waterfowl season to date. On a scale of 1 to 10. 5 being an average season for the 1st half of the season for the past 5 years. Mine has been about a 2. Last year at this time, I had killed 20 to 30 birds and this year I've killed 2. I am hunting the same areas. Some private and some public. I am hunting a little less because of a newborn, but I am still getting out a good bit. The problem was I didn't really start hunting till the middle of December. I'm just not seeing the birds like I have in the past several years. I'm north alabama on the Tennessee River. :confused:

By the way, I was pulling my boat out at a boat ramp around Decatur this past week and overheard a discussion going on about how bad the hunting was and where the ducks were. The results of the discussion was that everybody around agreed that all the birds were around G'ville and that was where everyone should head. Last thing I saw was a caravan of duck boats headed west. I've never hunted there, but the group agreed that all you had to do was find an island over there and throw out a few decoys. Not trying to cause any trouble, but just passing on what i heard. :l

2. DUCKN8R

DUCKN8R Elite Refuge Member

a 3
    im about 15 behind last years total as of dec31,,,, and still havent got my yearly band:mad:

3. MARSH_HUNTR

MARSH_HUNTR Elite Refuge Member

2 :mad: just plain ole sucks

4. CutTheDrake

CutTheDrake Elite Refuge Member

I'm going deer hunting. I hate deer hunting.

5. duckwho

duckwho Senior Refuge Member

10 mallards
    2 gadwalls
    1 shovelor
    8 geeese
    15 deer

i would rate it about a 2. When the deer outnumber the ducks, it cant be good. I have a nice lease that i havent set foot on in about 2 weeks. Im thinkin with about 4 more days of fabulous weather that the crappie might start slippen into the shallows, so i might care a dozen dekes,a dozen cane poles and a dozen minnows to Guntersville Saturday.

6. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Outstanding teal season, **** poor duck season.

7. ALduckhunter

ALduckhunter Senior Refuge Member

2..It sucks!

8. BAMAH2OFLR

BAMAH2OFLR Elite Refuge Member

It's not a numbers game to me. I have had a great season so far. Hunted AR, TN, AL, and am heading to LA soon. Shot a few birds and met some great folks. BTW, getting my first Fed Band really helps too...

9. Greno

Greno Senior Refuge Member

I am actually even with last year at this point at 2. Last year I was chasing who is now my wife. Just got married and am trying to keep her happy, started a new job, and buy a house and teach my new boss and his friend how to kill ducks when there aren't any. I got my hands full. I went to my hog spot about a month ago and they haven't been there at all as the grass was 6 feet high. I guess 03/04 will go down as a bad hunting season. Oh well.

10. uokman

uokman Senior Refuge Member

I'd give it about a .5 - THATS "POINT 5"... Our duck hunting sucks so bad - I don't really care if I go anymore or not... Been one time this year and should'da stayed home. If it weren't for getting to spend some time with a friend I've not seen for a year or so, the trip would have been one complete waste.

Of the past 5 years - 4, including this year have been horrible with each successive year getting worse. 5 years ago - the last year of a 3-bird limit - was the best I'd seen in the previous 10 at least. Gone down-hill fast from there though I'm afraid.