security scare at Los Angeles International Airport

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by yellowlab03, Mar 7, 2007.

1. yellowlab03

yellowlab03 Elite Refuge Member

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=dom...S.xml&src=rss&rpc=22

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - An Iraqi national wearing wires and concealing a magnet inside his rectum triggered a security scare at Los Angeles International Airport on Tuesday but officials said he posed no apparent threat.

The man, identified by law enforcement officials as Fadhel al-Maliki, 35, set off an alarm during passenger screening at the airport early on Tuesday morning.

A police bomb squad was called to examine what was deemed a suspicious item found during a body cavity search of the man. Local media reports said a magnet was found in his rectum.

"He was secreting these items in a body cavity and that was a great concern because there were also some electric wires associated with that body cavity," Larry Fetters, security director for the Transportation Security Administration at the airport, told reporters.

Maliki, 35, who lives in Atlantic City, New Jersey, was preparing to board a US Airways flight from Los Angeles to Philadelphia.

The flight left without Maliki but with his luggage aboard. It made an unscheduled landing in Las Vegas, where the plane was thoroughly searched but nothing was found, officials said.

Passengers were not evacuated and no flights were disrupted by the incident at Terminal One at Los Angeles airport.

"There never was a threat," Fetter said.

He said police and the FBI were called in from "an abundance of caution" because Maliki was "so bizarre in his behavior."

Maliki, who had a U.S. green card, was being questioned by immigration officials about his immigration status.

Sounds like he was trying to see what he could sneek past security to me. A probe maybe? Or he is a nutjob...

YL03

2. TarHeelWtrFwlr

TarHeelWtrFwlr Elite Refuge Member

Weapon of *** Destruction?

3. GregorMac

GregorMac Senior Refuge Member

:clap :clap Post of the Year, in my opinion! Well done, sir!

4. TarHeelWtrFwlr

You know how they found it?

They sniffed it out.

5. TarHeelWtrFwlr

But seriously, this sounds like a training run to see what they could get through the metal detectors. The conventional wisdom is now (as it has been for some time) that in order to smuggle a bomb aboard an airplane, it must be done in parts. One guy (or several) smuggles the parts for the detonators, perhaps hidden inconspicuously in electronic equipment (iPod, laptop, etc.) or, as in this case, on their person, and others smuggle the actual explosive components (C4 if going through an airport without a sniffer, older Semtex in the case of somewhere like LAX). Once in flight, the bomb is assembled and the airplane goes boom.

If this were not merely a training run and this guy had the wires, you know what that means?

Some other ashhole had the explosives.

6. yellowlab03

yellowlab03 Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like a training run to me. I wonder how long it will be until they get lucky.

YL03

7. Lowtide

Lowtide Elite Refuge Member

:l :l :l

8. Hew

Hew Elite Refuge Member

Oh, now that's freakin' brilliant. Yank the suspected terrorist off the plane but don't have the common sense of a 4th grader to pull the suspected terrorist's luggage off the plane before it takes off full of passengers and crew. I know I breathe a big sigh of relief whenever I step on a plane knowing that the crack TSA superslueths are on the case.

A promotion to whoever caught this arsehat and a pink slip to the TSA moron in charge who allowed the plane to leave with the luggage still on it. :mad:

9. seastreet

seastreet Banned

That isn't nothing... Now the TSA wants collective bargaining power for it's union. Extortion will result in slower lines, less work, crippled economy, even more laxed security, sick outs and 4 times the operating cost with little or no accountibility for it's performance and thoroughness (or lack thereof).

Oh joy!!!:mad:

10. Hew

Hew Elite Refuge Member

Bush has said he'll veto it, but I think the dems cloaked that provision into a larger appropriations bill. I'm surprised CF hasn't lamented that yet...he was always on top of that last year. I wonder what has changed since then.