Seeking Input on 1st AR Build

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by schmidtty, Feb 25, 2014.

1. schmidtty

schmidtty Senior Refuge Member

I have a White Oak 20in complete upper with fluted bull ordered. Should be here sometime in march or early april....

I bought a 4x16 Nikon Monarch w/ BDC reticle... Mainly because it was on sale at Cabela's and I had gift cards. Am I going to be disappointed with this as my instinct was to go Leupold like all my other hunting rifles. (besides a Nikon I have on my .17hmr which is decent)

Stock - was thinking the Magpul PRS? yay or nay?

Geiselle 2 stage or RRA 2 stage???

Difference between mil spec and commercial buffer tubes?

Bipod - harris?

Thanks

2. DeWayne Knight

DeWayne Knight Elite Refuge Member

The PRS stock will require a rifle length buffer tube. That renders your concern about mil-spec or commercial buffer tubes moot. For future reference though, the mil-spec buffer tube is slightly smaller in diameter than the commercial tube. Commercial adjustable stocks will be sloppy loose on a mil-spec tube, whereas a mil-spec stock will not fit on a commercial buffer tube.

Geissele products are veeeeeeery nice. If price is not a concern I'd go with them over the Rock River.

Don't use bipods, so can't offer anything on that.

3. Mark Brendemuehl

Mark Brendemuehl Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

I switched out my A2 stock for a Magpul PRS and I love it. Mine sits on a Bushmaster Varminter.
    Bipods? Harris is the only kind I have ever had on any of my rifles and they are very nice.
    Optics- I have both Leupold and Nikon. I like them both. All depends on what you want. I like mine to have adjustable dials rather than bullet drop, but its not for everyone. That said, next optics are likely Vortex.
    Mark

4. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

I'll soon be looking for 18" SS barrels, preferably fluted and less than 38 oz.

Not sure about the stock yet. I've got a VLTOR that's nice, but if I go with a fixed stock the RRA Operator A2 Stock is a nice, lighter weight, lower cost option. That PRS is nice, but unless you're talking LR target shooting I think it's overkill, but that's just my opinion for now.

I've already got the Geiselle G2S trigger and recommend that over the SSA's, etc, as it's intended as their "combat" trigger, although a quality single stage would be fine for anything other than longer range varmint shooting.

I've got a couple of Harris bipods, but may look for a lighterweight, swiveling brand. Need to look harder at that. You can't beat Harris for quality, but they are heavier.

Have fun!

5. EasternShoreGuy

EasternShoreGuy Refuge Member

Geiselle is a good trigger, so is Timney. The RRA 2 stage is a good trigger but not nearly the same. I have a Magpul PRS and like it, its a little heavy but with a 20'' bull barrel you wont be worried about weight. I am taking my 20 inch stainless and replacing with a 16'' white oak so it wont be so damn long and heavy once I put a suppressor on later this year.