Seeking new boat for perm. blind

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by JKDtraditional, May 25, 2017.

1. JKDtraditional

JKDtraditional New Member

So I'm looking for your guys opinions and suggestions on a new boat. I live in Idaho and will use it for hunting on lakes and reservoirs. I already have a fishing boat, so this one will be dedicated to waterfowl hunting. I plan on building a blind on it, with room for four hunters. I'm looking at both 18 and 20 foot boats. I don't currently have a dog, so retrieving will be done by wading or from the boat. Obviously I'm looking for something with an open floor plan. I also want it to handle a little choppy water, so I need to have taller sides and a mod v hull.

Two boats currently on my radar, are the Crestliner Retriever Jon and the Lowe Roughneck. Thoughts and opinions on these, or other suggestions, would be much appreciated.

2. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

Four hunters hunting in the boat? 18 footer, NO WAY. I have a Lowe Roughneck 1760 tiller with a mod V, and three hunters is max. Even at that I wouldn't mind a little bigger. Look at a 20 footer at least.

3. JKDtraditional

Thanks for the response. I understand most 18 foot boats would be cramped for room with four guys. I've seen a few with narrow rear benches and small front decks that provide much more room. Just trying to look at all the options. What style blind are you using on your Roughneck?

4. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

My 1760 is a 2002, and has a smaller front deck than the new ones. The new ones are 1860, but actually have less floor space (but bigger front storage).

I have an Avery Quickset blind I got new in 2003. Other than having to occasionaly tighten up some bolts and add some touchup paint, it has held up well.

5. Olefart

Olefart Senior Refuge Member

We can hunt five guys off our 22' pontoon boat easily, and have a very comfortable cabin to get in out of the weather. Hauls a lot of decoys and can be trailered easy. 40 hp Outboard pushes it nice.

6. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

Here is the layout of my old boat, with 24" sides. It was an 1848 flat and to be honest a 2054 or 2060 would be great. The lake I normally hunt on along with the Mississippi can get pretty choppy and it wasn't a wet ride. Most mod v hulls I have been in do cut the waves better, but also spray the water into the wind then back onto you.

PC050022.JPG PC050020.JPG

7. JKDtraditional

You've peaked my curiosity. Do you have any pictures of it?

8. Action

Action Elite Refuge Member

IMG_0966.JPG IMG_0962.JPG

Phowler Extreme 1866 with modified V. Will shoot up to 5 and a dog and 6-7 dozen duck decoys. However it's tight quarters and not recommended. Shooting up to 4 their is comfortable space with the dog on the bow or stern.

9. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

Honest question, do you guys finish ducks with those boats or do more 40 yard pass shooting? I tried the boat blind route and no matter how well I thought I was hidden, I just could not finish ducks. Switched to a layout boat and shoot 'em in the lips all day now.

10. Olefart

Olefart Senior Refuge Member

Yes I do if I can figure out how to load pictures.

Attached Files: