Seems to me like that there are many bad breeders in the US?

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by ellidj, Dec 30, 2003.

1. ellidj

ellidj Elite Refuge Member

Just from reading most peoples posts regarding the purchasing of a new pup, seems that it pays to be very selective in the US when it comes to buying a pup.

In Australia, I'd say that as long as you don't buy from a pet store or buy cheap from the local paper, you can land yourself a very well and carefully bred pup either for the show ring or else for hunting.

Our Cannine Assoc. does pretty well to make sure that dogs bought with papers have had both parents sufficiently well checked for hips, elbows and eyes or any other predisposed conditions known for a breed.

My 5 mo ylf was the last bitch of the litter and I only scored her 2 or 3 days after deciding that I wanted a ylf.
    She was advertised in a local paper, but came with proper vet and pedigree papers. Neither parents were trial or retrieving champs.

You might think that I have been lucky, but I am extremely pleased with how she is travelling so far. (Touch Wood!)

I also have within the lab club several good contacts for future potential breeding, based on trials etc.

2. Merganser Sluicer

Merganser Sluicer Elite Refuge Member

Ahmen! There are way, way too many "breeders" and unfortunately the vast majority of them bad.

3. EvanG

EvanG Elite Refuge Member

I'm not quite that pessimistic about it. Of course there is plenty of room for improvement, but there are many very dedicated retriever breeders in this country, and we have all been the beneficiaries in one way or another. We owe them some respect.

Health standards are better now than twenty years ago, and part of that is due to the efforts of conscientious breeders making a consistent effort to uphold good standards, and to make others more aware of the importance of good genetics, and good health standards.

It's been nearly thirty years since I started training retrievers and it's a hundred times easier to get a terrific dog now than it was then. My hat is off to those who continue to strive for excellence.

EvanG

4. Swampcollie

Swampcollie Elite Refuge Member

I have to agree with Evan. The term "Breeder" gets used pretty loosely in this country, so you need to be aware of that. In many instances anyone owning a female with a litter of puppies is called a Breeder when in reality they are irresponsible pet owners who didn't keep an eye on Lady and Tramp when Lady was in season.

An act of irresponsibility doesn't make them a "Breeder", they are just less than stellar dog owners.

5. Batman

Batman Elite Refuge Member

I'm not that pessimistic either... with the internet, it's not that hard to find a breeder out there with a good pedigree, health certificates, guarantess, etc. I will pick up my first pup at the end of this month and I thought it was pretty easy with all of the free information available out there... Not really sure why there is so much negativity on this board about that topic, but it's my impression that some people just like to complain...

6. Over and Under

Over and Under Senior Refuge Member

I wonder why the AKC dosent require hip and eye certifcation on their registered dogs that are prone to such ails. If they are really interested in bettering the breed it seems like this should be required and not just recomened to be in their registry. Alot of folks buy a pup out of the paper just because it is AKC regestered thinking they are getting a well bred dog just because it is registered.

7. Kimmie

Kimmie Moderator Sponsor Moderator

My only answer is-

$$$$$$$$$$$

Pretty sickening; but, what ya gonna do?

Kimmie :)

8. JDogger

JDogger Refuge Member

In my recent search for a new pup I came across two litters, both with a FC/AFC sire and a MH dam. Neither parent in both litters had been Cerf'd or Ofa'd. I was assured by the "breeders" that everything would be OK. They just hadn't gotten around to it !
    Asking prices were $800 to $ 1250. Really makes you wonder.

A good pedigree, in and of itself, is not enough. Do your homework !!

JD

9. Swampcollie

Swampcollie Elite Refuge Member

The AKC serves as a regestry for numerous different breeds, not just hunting dogs. It is a huge task just maintaining records and serving as the sanctioning body for numerous dog events.

Becoming the Police for health or temperment issues for every breed they register? That would be a huge undertaking.

Each Breed has a Parent Breed Club that writes breed standards, deals with health issues, and monitors what is going on with their particular breed in general. The Parent Breed Club makes recommendations to breeders as to what health and temperament clearances should be obtained before breeding a dog. It isn't the AKC's function or responsibility to do this.

People who believe that an AKC Registration is a guarantee of quality are making an incorrect assumption based on their own ignorance.

The AKC's function is that of a record keeper nothing more, nothing less.

10. mallardrobin

mallardrobin Elite Refuge Member

with swampcollie on this one. I wish they would get their act together and do something about it. I made a suggestion awhile back about this. I would not mind paying an extra buck at an akc hunt test for the money to go to start maintaining these records. now if the OFA shows up on my pedigrees why can't they just submit their ofa clearances along with their eye clearances before breeding. This could go into a database and if the dam or sire does not show up with clearances then all the puppy registration papers that are sent out with these particular parents are automatically sent out limited. This would be so beneficial. It would be even better if they required at least a minimal title to be able to get registered. This opens up a can of worms but def would shut down some breeders. We would also see a lot bigger entries in hunt tests also, but I guess I would not really mind it that much.