Seems to me like that there are many bad breeders in the US?

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by ellidj, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Kimmie

Kimmie Moderator Sponsor Moderator

Well, It might be a huge undertaking, no doubt; BUT, how hard would it be to put 2 little boxes on the litter regristration form to include health clearance numbers? Sure, I know as well as anyone else that people could just write in 12423532563 or whatever but if they did...... yank their priviledges to register litters.... IMHO- It's not an impossiblitity.

Kimmie :)

2. mallardrobin

mallardrobin Elite Refuge Member

I really like your way if thinking. Remember they said that the Wright brothers could never be able to fly and just look what happened!!!!

3. Swampcollie

Swampcollie Elite Refuge Member

It's kind of a neat idea, but would be very difficult and expensive to enact and maintain.

The AKC keeps and maintains records on over 200 different breeds. Each breed has it's own standard as well as health and/or temperament clearance requirements. Creating and maintaining database unique for each breed would be problematic at best, not to mention very expensive.

4. wetdogs

wetdogs Senior Refuge Member

Plus the AKC is just a registrar. They leave the policing of breeders to the individual clubs and each other.

Who will be in charge of deciding what genetic clearances are needed before a breeding? Some still aren't clearing elbows though Labs have a very high number of ED cases. What about heart clearance? What about eyes? There isn't a group who all agree on what should be cleared before breeding and what shouldn't be.

5. Kimmie

Kimmie Moderator Sponsor Moderator

I don't disagree with you Swampcollie ;) I just think that they should accept some responsiblity for the breeds they register... IMO- THEY are the KEY to stamping out backyard breeders. How else are they going to register their litter unless they go to the UKC, CKC or whatever else is out there (and most people that contact me WANT the *AKC* registered dog...) Even if clients are unaware of what OFA, CERF or pedigrees are, they do know AKC...
    I don't think AKC is hurting for $$$, just they are like most any other org, they aren't going to volunteer to spend it... even if it does mean the difference between Registering healthy puppies from parents with clearances and pups that come from backyard breeders that chance being dysplasic or have other defects that could have been prevented. I think it's a throwing off of responsibility that's been pushed on by greed......
    Just how I feel about it not wanting to start an all out war :D

Kimmie :)

6. mallardrobin

it would be expensive, but sometimes we have to forgo the cost for the quality. I would not mind paying more for a litter registration if there was some quality control. So then why doesnt the AKC just send out all limited registrations and then when an owner wants to breed the dog all the clearances must be submitted before breeding takes place. Then, and only then would AKC send out fully registered dog registration papers. It would not limit anyone to being able to do events, just breeding then we have more contol over who gets to breed. Just puts back yard breeders out of business, for the most part.

7. wetdogs

wetdogs Senior Refuge Member

I would prevent some of us from doing conformation shows. You cannot show a LR dog in conformation.

8. Swampcollie

Swampcollie Elite Refuge Member

Well, the Conformation folks may not like it, but it would be very easy to change the rules for Conformation Events to accept Limited Registration dogs.

Then all puppies can go out the door under Limited Registration. Then the owner of the pup can supply documentation to the Breeder that the pup has passed all of the necessary requirements, and the breeder can sign off on a full registration.

9. mallardrobin

got me on that one, but is that not what show is for? it is to determine which dogs meet the closest to the standard? if he cannot acheive his/or her CH maybe they should not be bred. On that topic maybe if a dog cannot reach a SH title they cannot be bred, if it is field bred, or even a MH title. That would cut down a lot of bybrs and maybe then a MH title would mean more than what it does today. Because this day in age just about any Quality bred dog with the right training can acheive a MH title.

10. locke

locke Elite Refuge Member

If this is true, why are there still so few MHs and how many MHs do you own to draw that conclusion?

Also limited registration goes along way. All to often Joeblow X gets a dog with a decent pedigree and starts letting it rip. If folks with really good dogs used the limited registration (my thanks to those use it) exclusively then the BYB would start being choked out over time because their access to quality dogs would be cut off.

Rather than being title Nazi's we should use the tools that are out there to stomp out BYB's. Besides titles only tell part of the story. Using titles as a benchmark for breeding would only hurt our breed. There are many fine dogs with all of the health clearances that can and do make a positive contribution to the breed.