Seems to me like that there are many bad breeders in the US?

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by ellidj, Dec 30, 2003.

1. mallardrobin

mallardrobin Elite Refuge Member

Ok I own a SH title dog with a Master Pass. He is an awsome dog with an above average pedigree. I have several others that are on their way. What is really boils down to is us as breeders doing the right thing by educating the general public about standards. But in the land of Field Trial Hell where we are competing against the toughest of the tough, the MH title needs to mean more than just that. There are more and more and more MH titles being passed out here in the Great Pacific Northwest. Most of our entries are split entries with 45= entries in Master A and Master B. So in one weekend there are 90 dogs running if no scratches. No wonder they are thinking about dividing it down even more. That does not even include the Juniors or the Seniors which are starting to catch up in numbers to the Masters. It basically boils down to having ethics and standards, which we should try to live up to.

2. locke

locke Elite Refuge Member

Thank you for the response MR, and good luck with your dogs.

In 2002 there were 1347 Junior, 619 Senior, and 349 Master titles handed out.

Yes I agree completely.

Good luck with your breeding or not breeding program :)

3. wetdogs

wetdogs Senior Refuge Member

It can be very difficult to put a Championship on a dog in the US. I think lrlabs figured it out to be about 2% of all dogs registered and shown in this country earn their Championship.

I do not have a problem with allowing LR dogs to be shown in conformation. I think its a great idea. Being that its a good idea means the AKC will never go for it. :l

Exactly. You cannot legislate ethics. Either you have them or you don't.

4. mallardrobin

Thank you for compliments, I will be breeding again someday but not now, I am getting a Creek Robber puppy from Lee. That is going to be a big project. This is my first FC titled sired puppy. She says that she is a wild child!!! This will put me at a different level when I do start again someday, I am also looking for a FC sired pup that is a yellow female, Lean Free. but that will be next years present

5. locke

locke Elite Refuge Member

You hit the nail on the head. Conformation breeders should not be handicaped by the LR. I agree whole heartedly.

6. mallardrobin

Just like the cycle of violence, if we do not treat the root causes of it, it will continue, but through education we can teach right from wrong. This is such a great thread!! got to go, my son is kicking me off the computer:( Time for a nap still getting over dang flu:(

7. Fetch

Fetch Elite Refuge Member

It must be where you live :rolleyes:

Up here I would dare say most any "newspaper" AKC Registered Lab :rolleyes: could compete with just about all the High Brow Big Dollars Labs (with the same training) & Hips & eyes problems are not as common as they would lead you to believe :rolleyes:

Why is this any more Rude than the attitude displayed in this & so many other threads :confused: (It must be the money)

A very good Lab up here can run as little as $100 up to $3 or $400 :eek: - I bet their papers are just as good as many much more expensive dogs (especially if you consider how watered down all the titles have become) :rolleyes:

Sorry just another point of view

8. Over and Under

Over and Under Senior Refuge Member

I think the people who take the time and expence to title their dogs to the master hunter level and above are usually more responceable when it comes to breeding their dogs. The problem is for the guy who is looking for his first dog and is unaware of retriever health problems and has never heard of the OFA. I relize not everyone is looking for a hunting dog or a show dog but i think everyone would like a dog that has a good chance for a healthy life. And I do feel like it is the responeability of the AKC to require health certifcation on breeds which parent clubs recomend should have such certications before breeding. I also think that the AKC should require breeders of AKC registered dogs to have a health guarentee.

9. mallardrobin

There are no guarantees though, for some people or breeders for that matter will only breed their animals once and then have them spayed so if they guarantee the pups they can not replace the pup, but just refund the money. So even if the dog and bitch are certified for hips and eyes and whatever else and they are clean does not mean they can not pass that on. It happens all the time, but it does lessen the severity or chances that the pups will come down with it. Many many moons ago, males were being bred at 13, 14 months old with out certs and passing bad genes because the technology and the awarness was not there to detect carriers. With that said though, many more people are wanting Mercedes quality dogs for 300 and 400 dollars. I can understand why, but then again the people that do run their dogs in ht and ft's should be compensated for their time and effort by asking what they do for stud service and pups.