Seen something different today. IDK

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by duckhuntingUSA, Nov 17, 2017.

1. duckhuntingUSA

duckhuntingUSA Elite Refuge Member

Lots of clues here. True story.

So, I get off work this morning, go on my normal scout run. Public marsh got 2 guys set up in closest mound to parking lot, 2 trucks not hid, bout a dozen mallard dekes out, 2 spinners maybe a splasher. Pretty sure I’ve seen that spread there a couple times this year.

I give scout spots about one smoke to see what happens.

Big flock of geese working somewhere out of sight over open water. Hear some break off and head towards marsh. Pretty much same time they were around yesterday, bout 8:20. One guy sitting one standing. Guys never made a sound. No goose dekes. Geese finally come. 3, 2 paired up, one a little split. Guys don’t make a noise, geese go straight over the top, not terrible high but high. Public marsh thought there’d empty there guns. Guys didn’t move. Geese passes. Little ways out guy clucks soft 2 times. Sounded decent no harshness. Geese turn at a distance, start slipping cross wind right to left still way out. Guy clucks 4 times, still real soft. Geese turn off to the left, come straight toward the guys into the wind. 80 yards out geese cup up and start dropping, single split out a little in the front and lower. Guys silent since the turn. Geese pass right over mound cupped bout 18 yards high. Looks like their going in just past the dekes. They come over cupped and flare soft out over the dekes and left. Guy never sat down, never went for the gun. Never really did much cept watch.

So what’s up with that? Is their people out there who don’t shoot the geese during duck hunting? Is this some new thing? Is there something wrong with the geese? Anybody know about this, is it like some utube challenge I haven’t seen? IDK.

2. Diprivan

Diprivan Refuge Member

Maybe they already had their limit?

WHUP ! Hen and stevena198301 like this.
  3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Only guess I could make...

4. Cliner

Cliner Senior Refuge Member

I learned the hard way a few years ago...shot a limit of ducks and close to a limit of geese in the back of a walk in pool at MDC. Never again have I shot geese on a public walk-in hunt. That was the worst walk out I've ever had.

5. Ramblingman

Ramblingman Senior Refuge Member

I pass on honks pretty regularly depending on my hike out, my gear load, and how much is in the freezer already.

However, I don't call to geese if I am not serious about killing them.

Neck Collar likes this.
  6. DornCounty

DornCounty Senior Refuge Member

maybe just enjoying the birds? Sounds like a pretty darn fun time. All the fun of actually shooting them. but doesn't have to clean'em.

7. Millertme

Millertme New Member

This...I still like to see if I can call them in though. To me, 90% of the fun is the challenge of being able to fool the birds and seeing them react to my calling. Shooting and eating the birds is just a bonus.

8. duckhuntingUSA

duckhuntingUSA Elite Refuge Member

I know the spot pretty well. Bout 2 miles from the house I lived in 22 years. Pretty sure they weren’t anywhere close to a goose limit there at 830. They really been moving round 830 around here this week. Guys set is maybe 80 yards from truck. IDK. But with a duck set only, I couldn’t have made those birds work better myself. That was as shootable as they were going to get. Looked like a real easy triple for 2 guys. IDK. Im happy about it. I’m start working on the geese pretty hard around there in a couple weeks. I’m glad people aren’t shooting at um. More for me.

WHUP ! Hen and stevena198301 like this.
  9. Rickard

Rickard Refuge Member

2 weeks ago, at cheyney, there were a few geese that came low enough to spank. I had 1 spot left for a limit on ducks and did the same thing, but was using goose floaters outside my duck spread. I love calling and simply wanted to see if I could. I'm glad I didn't shoot because my duck limit filled less than 2 minutes later. Hindsight tells me I should have because geese have been pretty slim pickings to nil on the main watershed since. Now there's a bunch of deer hunters about and I have to go back home to FL so no more camo out there. :(