SEK - Picking up any new birds?

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by Drake Decimator, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

You keep better statistics than I do. All I know is that I had more bags of meat, this time last year. Really season hasn't been all that bad until the last 10 days. I had really high hope regarding this cold front. It brought absolutely no birds in and pushed out a few that we had. There are supposedly a lot of birds in S.D.and NE, thought we'ed be getting some of those.

2. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

Well I have hunted more days this year and shot 6x less ducks to this point. Last year was the worst year I ever had and it makes this year look like a Falling Skies video. 450 miles last week.

3. KSRedleg

KSRedleg Elite Refuge Member

Shoot many of those in the SEK?

4. dux/24 7

dux/24 7 Elite Refuge Member

Im guessing No.... it was a little better today, still bad overall.

5. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

You'd be guessing right.

6. DornCounty

DornCounty Senior Refuge Member

There was a surge with the last cold front.. what was that THursday. Saw a few more over the weekend. NOt sure where these other guys are scouting. Wouldn't expect huge pushes at this point until they start freezing up north.

It wasn't amazing, but more than nothing. I heard quite afew shots on Sunday.

7. Drake Decimator

Drake Decimator Senior Refuge Member

Got a little green on Sunday, teal again. Had 5 mallards with one drake swing so close could have grabbed him with a dip net, but wanted to wait for other 4 to commit so group could get shots, 4th pass and away they all went and 0 mallards, coulda-shoulda-woulda. Had a squadron of 15 teal come in and a pair, all action ceased and desisted by 9am if not before. 2-3 groups in air seen, but that was it. I am now convinced that if your not breaking ice in SEK at Thanksgiving, its going to be a rough season with no eventual correction possible until late Jan with reverse migrators.

ED Vanderbeck likes this.
  8. bandcollector

bandcollector Elite Refuge Member

Hunted Saturday near Wellington and it sucked. We killed a pair of cacklers not long after sunrise and then everything else we saw was skittish and decoy shy. I had thought it would be better with the cooler weather the few days prior.

9. KSU86

KSU86 Senior Refuge Member

Some of my neighbors have complained about slow hunts...

This past summer, we set a new record for tractor hours spent working food plots.

2016 - Hunts 9, Harvest 83, 3.46 per gun, 9.22 per hunt

2017 – Hunts 10, Harvest 142, 4.58 per gun, 14.20 per hunt... mostly Greenheads and Greenwing teal.