Self-guided hunt recommendations

Discussion in 'Arkansas Flyway Forum' started by Skunked, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Skunked

Skunked Senior Refuge Member

Howdy from the FL duckhunting side of the house!

I'm thinking about making a run to Arkansas for a duck hunt in mid-Dec for a change of pace and because, well, Arkansas.

I don't want to go in cold to public lands, and as I like to hunt with my dogs on my terms, I'm not all that interested in sitting in a blind with a few people I don't know hunting over a guide's dog.

I'd much rather shoot three birds by myself with my Boykin than a limit with a guide and a gaggle of goobers (not that there is anything wrong with goobers; some of my best friends are goobers) and their 100# Lab.

I've see a few places that offer "unguided hunts" where they provide the blind in a flooded field or timber but the rest is up to you. Dog, decoys, and ATV I can bring with me. That is more like what I am looking for. As my usual hunting buddies refuse to plan more than 48-hrs out and I am more like months out - I may actually be by myself and footing the bill myself by the time I show up, and that's OK.

Thing is, I'm having trouble getting any recommendations from my usual suspects (poor planners have trouble hunting out of state it seems) and am not all that comfortable with google-roulette. Thought I might as well try here.

Any recommendation on people in Arkansas I should talk to? Thanks!

2. Bull-sprig

Bull-sprig Elite Refuge Member

Arkansas on Village Creek the new Hurricane
    those self guided are usually not good. Owner saves best spots for his guided hunts. plus no incentive to rest it.

3. Chicken

Chicken Elite Refuge Member

just go shoot 6 spoonies and go back to florida and tell folks how awesome arkansas is

4. Skunked

Skunked Senior Refuge Member

Ya'll about as helpful as the VA folks. :joker

5. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

I think @bullpinnie has the number of a guy who does day leases. No refunds though...

Skunked likes this.
  6. ncquackchaser

ncquackchaser New Member

Hey Skunked. I'm thinking about something similar. Give me a PM and maybe we can compare notes.

7. bxcall1

bxcall1 Senior Refuge Member

I heard on this forum awhile back that village creek is awesome.
    Follow the purple tree trail!

8. mallardhunter

mallardhunter Senior Refuge Member

Skunked,

Bull-sprig has told it like it is. Take his advice.
    IMHO, if you want to kill ducks in Arkie, hire a guide. If you don't have three friends that will commit to a trip, suggest you get better friends. If you want an adventure, go there and attempt to hunt public lands. I'd leave the dog home and plan to find dust where the flooded land is supposed to be - or find the launch ramp underwater - or it might work out that week/year. If you just want to sit somewhere with your dog and maybe shoot at a lost and confused shoveler or perhaps a few daffy teal, then the day hunt scenario is your thing.

stevena198301 likes this.
  9. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

You sure do make it sound a lot like wild duck hunting... :clap

10. shifty

shifty Elite Refuge Member

go to bayou meto, lots of other oosers there and most are more than willing to offer up a spot in their lund boats.