Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

September 2017

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Mean Gene, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

I'm kicking around the idea of my wife and I spending the entire month of September hunting ducks and geese in Canada next year. I don't know if it will come to fruition or not, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. If that happens, I'd like to find a place where I could rent a house/cottage for the entire month. Alberta, Saskatchewan, or Manitoba all might work. I don't mind doing the research, but I'd appreciate any leads. I'd be hunting alone, or maybe with the wife some and would like to be able to hunt both fields and water. If you could help point me in the right direction to get started it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. morduks

morduks Elite Refuge Member

Gene, been going to Sask for last 15 years. Call me Wed thru Fri and I can fill you in a bit about Sask and answer your questions and perhaps make a few suggestions. I am in Cape Cod now but back in Cal on Tuesday late then off to Manitoba this year starting on Sat. We have never shot MB so trying it out this year. After the trip I can give you a bit of info about MB too.

Tom B.
    650 619 0366

3. Mean Gene

Sounds good Tom, thanks.

4. gdluck

gdluck Elite Refuge Member

I have dreamed the same, but your problem is the same as my dream. its not where. it's what. what to do with all the birds. not sure how you could hunt even just a few days a week and keep up with eating them for a month straight.

where? cant help there. where i have been going for snows the last 9 years dried up and if this year is like the last 4 we will be moving on. hate to do it as we made friends there and i spend 1/4 of my time helping with harvest. they said i will get to drive the combine this year, but they said that the last 3 years...............

If you find a spot i am open for the tip. we leave sat.

5. Cody Warner

Cody Warner New Member

There are plenty of locals willing to take some birds. I'm not saying that you could give away a days limit everyday but between that and processing them you'd be fine.

6. Mean Gene

I think so. Especially with the meat grinder. Everybody likes sausage, even me. I seriously doubt I'd hunt every day. And yeah, I understand I can't transport the sausage back across the border, wasn't what I was getting at. I'm sure we could find stuff to do, like fishing some, that would also occupy time. :tu

7. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

No offense, but this can be a sore point for some Canadians. Guy(s) coming up and staying for a month and doing nothing but putting lots of pressure on local spots and birds. I mean, it's not like you are one of the locals that can only get out maybe once a week for hunt.

Most have no issue with visiting hunters coming up to enjoy what Canada has to offer, but coming up and trying to figure out how many birds you can gift away or make into sausage so you can keep hunting. This is one of the reasons why many Canadian hunters are pushing for mandatory guiding for all non-residents. Word to the wise, yes some people will take birds, but normally they want them cleaned and prep for the oven/BBQ and most don't want limits of ducks and geese. They will take a goose or a couple ducks and that is it. Otherwise they would take up hunting to get their own.

I only say this because it has happened to us, guys from the US coming up and staying for more than a month. Out twice a day and hammering the snot out of the same area day after day after day. Aggravating to say the least for us local hunters.

If you are dead set on coming for a month, instead of staying in place, move around and try hunting different provinces for shorter time periods.

Just my opinion as a local who has been burned by idiots who have no sense of ethics or sportsmanship and are up here to kill as many birds as possible. =)

8. morduks

morduks Elite Refuge Member

Something to think about.

Tom B.

9. IOWA DUCKMAN

IOWA DUCKMAN Senior Refuge Member

I may be wrong but wouldn't you have to be a resident to hunt the entire month of September in Manitoba? I don't think the season starts until early October for non resident.

10. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

Non-resident season in the southern part of the province doesn't start until Sept 24th. Resident starts September 1st.

IOWA DUCKMAN likes this.