Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

September 2017

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Mean Gene, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Understand your concern Chris, but like I said, I wouldn't be hunting every day. I also don't hunt the same spot multiple times in a row. When I go somewhere I like to learn about the area and the people and you simply can't do that in a short time such as a couple days. Also, not focusing on Manitoba.

2. Honker Ace

Honker Ace Refuge Member

Statements like this scare the hell out of me as a freelance hunter who would rather dump a grand into gear than paying a guide on a trip such as this. We all deal with pressure, it does seem magnified in Canada but Manitoba/Sask/Alberta also are in the flyways containing the largest numbers of the continent's waterfowl, so in a way it should be expected to an extent.

It may be frustrating seeing all these Americans coming into your area hunting, but pushing for mandatory guiding for non-residents at the same time is a slippery slope. Not sure how it currently is in your area, but would you really want the increases to guide business to the point where they could pressure government enough to allow for leasing of hunting land? I am fortunate, we might not have insane numbers of birds, but I also know 80% of the farmers around here and generally have little issue getting on land. Would someone from Saskatchewan all of a sudden want to find out landowners they have been having amicable access rights with for most of their lives are suddenly caving to the almighty dollar and leasing their entire property out to an outfitter?

I agree, those who go up and kill over their legal possession limits without consuming their birds or bringing them all back across for processing are a problem...It's a major concern of mine as a group of us prepare for a 9 day excursion in Saskatchewan in another month. We plan to eat as much as we can, maintain possession limits, and hopefully have a few really good snow goose shoots to make up for the days we likely will be targeting something else while trying to use up what we have. However, what may seem like an easys olution to solving the problem may shoot everyone's foot off in the end.

3. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

In Manitoba we currently have a moratorium on issuing any more outfitter licenses, only way to get an outfitters license is to purchase someones else business. At least I believe that to be the case. So having the place over run with outfitters and locking up land simply isn't going to happen. Luckily for us the government is pretty supportive of the Resident and Non-resident Canadian hunters. Oak Hammock is a perfect example, Government hasn't allowed any new outfitters to start up in that area for the last 20 years despite a very large waiting list of people who want to start new outfitting business. There has to be a place for the current outfitters, free-lancers as well as the locals who want to hunt that area. The Government priority list is as follows;

1. First Nations (who have the Right to hunt)
    2. Resident hunters
    3. Non-resident Canadian hunters
    4. Canadian Outfitters/guides
    5. Non-resident non-Canadians

What it comes down to is, there has to be a balance, between all groups. That said the resident hunters do have a strong voice with our government. If there starts to be a growing problem, it will be dealt with. As mentioned before, most hunters have no issue with visiting hunters coming to hunt. It's the bad apples that spoil the bunch as they say. If the perception is that non-resident non-Canadians are causing problems or pushing the locals out then that problem will be dealt with. And not doing anything isn't the solution.

I've been on the Refuge since 2002. This topic always seems to be revisited each fall and has been discussed to death this forum. Americans see Canada as this duck and goose heaven since back home they have to deal with tripping over dozens and dozens of other hunters, trying work highly pressured birds, having to pay crazy leases in order to find a spot to hunt, severe lack of birds in some places etc.... It's easy for some to fall into the whole kid with the key to the candy store mentality and over indulge and not see their influence in the grander scheme of things

The exact reasons Canada is so special for all hunters are the exact reasons why the resource needs to be protected and some restraint needs to shown from the visiting hunters. Most American hunters are so used to going to crazy lengths to hunt it's easy for them to just to sort of "take over an area". What they see as normal hunting, Canadians see as someone over staying their visit. It's all about perception.

Lastly, none of my comments are directed Mean Gene or anyone else on this thread.

Good hunting everyone!!!

4. Zekeland

Zekeland Senior Refuge Member

I'm going to pipe in here....

I'm a busy guy with lots of holidays in October to enjoy the outdoors here in Manitoba. I am a shiftworker and most of my waterfowling is during the week, also some weekends. So I do avoid the local weekend warriors but hard to avoid the freelancing americans. And that is fine, plenty of birds, plenty of fields full of birds. Not always......though.

I have no problem sharing our resources with visitors, but like Chris said, attitudes change when visitors are up here for 3, 4 even 5 weeks at a time.

I am in disagreement though with Chris, I do not support, nor my hunting partners, the mandatory guiding for alien visitors. We are in support of 5 day licenses though. And a maximum # of licenses per year.
    We do not need more guides. WE do not need more land being tide up, because more and more is being locked up each year. Even though there are no New licences being allotted, outfitters are growing larger and larger each year and with that means expanding their hunting areas and the result of that is more land being locked up. I would like to see waterfowler outfitters tied to a certain area and that is it. You cant lock up land from Russell to Minnedosa for example. A couple of outfitters do though. But if you restrict an outfitter to only one zone/area I guess that could backfire and all good land in that zone could be off limits to myself and rest of the locals. Who knows.....
    That is for another topic though, and a letter to MWF and MLOA.

5. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

Oh just to clear something up, I'm not for mandatory guiding. I would be for it, if guys start to stay for 4- 6 weeks at a time and hunt all the time and make hunting for the locals a gong show.

6. Zekeland

Zekeland Senior Refuge Member

Sorry Chris.....I did say " I am in disagreement though with Chris "

I meant to say .... I disagree with Chris' comment about many Canadians in favour of Mandatory........

Didn't mean to imply this was your view......

7. canada

canada Senior Refuge Member

I believe that non residents should only be able to hunt for no longer than 7 to 10 days.We all know that there will be some idiot that will exceed their harvest buy gifting their birds to shot more.I hope that all non residents understand it is a privilege not a right when hunting in Canada.I would question any hunter who hunts for a month,is an ethical hunter.I have been hunting in Canada for 20 plus years and if you cannot get your legal possession in 7 to 10 days or less your doing something wrong.

GOOSEMAN#1 likes this.
  8. Outlandish

Outlandish New Member

I have the privilege of hunting MB 2-3 times a fall for 4-5 day periods and with in-laws up there (I am a foreign Resident aka American) the season long license is great but have a feeling those days are limited. I really don't have an issue if they give you limited length licenses as I too feel the overcrowding and land lock up encroaching this resource. I basically have given up local hunting to plan these trips. I cant imagine mandatory guides, it would certainly reduce hunter numbers from the south but would also have a considerable economic impact on the small towns I know we support. Chris, what is your take on farmers (generally in my encounters) looking after land of other farmers and essentially brokering fields to Americans in return for cash. Reading the regs this seems illegal and am curious if others run into it. It's not a guide service but certainly makes access near impossible. The change over the last 5 years is considerable. Knowing what other groups ask of my in-laws, I can see why many US hunters perpetuate this overkilling mentality.

9. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Well excuse the hell out of me. If I want to go up for a month I'm unethical? Jesus H Christ, sorry I even asked.

JD1107 likes this.
  10. canada

canada Senior Refuge Member

I guess your missing my point.Let me translate ,if you are hunting for month and harvesting birds BEYOND your limit by giving birds away.Yes, I do think that is unethical.I guess only Jesus Christ would know:scratch Enjoy your trip.:tu

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    ih2ofowler likes this.