Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

September 2017

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Mean Gene, Sep 12, 2016.

1. mrmallerd

mrmallerd Elite Refuge Member

Each winter many Americans put up with Canadians coming to Arizona, Texas, Florida, etc. Many of the golf courses, lakes, restaurants, campgrounds, etc become crowded with our neighbors from the north. For the most part you are welcomed with open arms. Sure, some might be inconvenienced with not getting our preferred tee time, however, as long as you behave, you are welcome & feel free to bring plenty of money & stay till the weather gets warm.

2. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

Gene,

These guys are basing their comments not really knowing you or your style of hunting, let it roll of your back. The assumptions are that most every American hunter, hunts twice a day, for most of us that's not true.

I have 10 plus years of hunting Canada and since you will be hunting mostly by yourself, my advice would be to focus on field hunting for big honkers and dumb mallards

In my experience, water hunting is a pain in the *** up there and Sask laws require immediate retrieval of any downed birds, including dead birds floating in the spread.

Bring a few doz flocked lessers, a few doz FB mallards and two spinners and you're good to go

Arkansas Slim and DaPutts like this.
  3. kaiserduckhelm

kaiserduckhelm Senior Refuge Member

Have you thought about towing up a camper? Setting up camp in one spot might be tricky. We have been going for the last 9 years to the same hotel. Great people and the hunting can be lights out. After a week though we are ready to move on. Scouting the same birds and seeing the same spots feels like ground hogs day after while.

I would bring some crane decoys also. One the more enjoyable birds to hunt up there. Doesn't take much for decoys, flights last a long time and they trade fields a lot. Plus most other hunters don't pay much attention to them.

Bring some lead and walk the tree rows for Huns. Good way to kill a nice afternoon before its time to scout.

4. Powder

Powder Elite Refuge Member

I have had the pleasure of free lancing both Alberta and Saskatchewan a bunch. Finding a house will not be problem. Local DU field office or Chamber of Commerce is a good starting point.

Mean Gene likes this.
  5. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

All Canadian laws require the immediate retrieval of downed migratory game birds. Too often failure to do so means the "dead" bird gets up and walks, swims, or flies away while the hunters are waiting for the next flock. A resident group of hunters got charged up here last season I heard because they shot some geese and then were working the next flock.

6. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

We got lectured on this Chris several years ago, we get'm picked up fast

7. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch Senior Refuge Member

I have mixed feelings on this.

I have met some super americans up hunting in sk. In no way did i ever feel they were taking opportunities away from locals or other canadians. The only hunting rights that i am aware were leased (illegally) by them was from an outfitter who had it already leased (illegally). I dont agree with it but imo the outfitters are the ones who tie up large amounts of land and limit the opportunities for all others, not american hunters.

At the same time I believe that in order to keep things this way some sort of limitation needs to be in place to prevent things from changing in the future since more americans seem to be taking advantage of this opportunity each year. Mandating they use an outfitter only benefits outfitters and could lead to less opportunity for canadians.

As far as i see it the solution is simple, dont gift anything. Never exceed your possession limit in any way other than whatever you eat during the hunt. Seems simple enough to me and should offend no one (although we all know it will anyway) :h

Now back on topic...

Try phoning the local rm (rural municipality) office or town office. They will likely be able to steer you to someone who would be happy to oblige you. When whitetail hunting we stay at my buddies aunts while she moves in with her son for the week. Lol
    We also find a pot of hot stew waiting for us in the crock pot now and then. :p:yes

8. Diamondhitch

People are free to camp and golf throughout the world without any assistance from the locals. Canadians are fortunate to have the privilege of conducting diy hunts for limited species in limited areas of the us, a foreign country, few other places in the world allow this on any scale. I believe you would do well to respect the sovernty of canadians as much as you, or any citizen of any country would expect it in return. This is not your country to do with as you will, it is your privelige, not right, to hunt here. Please remember that before posting in the future.

9. mrmallerd

mrmallerd Elite Refuge Member

I'm not sure who crapped in your Wheaties, however to address your statement. With one exception, I have always been welcomed by all Canadians I have encountered on my annual trips to SK. Each fall, I legally enter thru a mutual border crossing & obey the Canadian laws(with one exception, that being the speed limit). Each year, I visit my Canadian friends, & I am always encouraged to return. We talk about family, farming, hockey, golf, politics & share a drink or two, or more. Much like our feathered friends, many of these same friends, migrate south for the winter. From what I know of these people they are always welcome. I realize that a few Canadian hunters may be inconvenienced by non residents, however, I was just making an observation that a few Americans are inconvenienced by our neighbors from the North. I'm sure on some Vacation Forum, there is some American which has an attitude toward Canadians which have caused him some inconvenience. With that said, as long as we all show respect to each others countries, their citizens & their resources we should all get along. Understanding that there are always a few individuals which don't follow those principals, please don't paint all Americans with a broad brush & we will do the same.

Diamondhitch likes this.
  10. Diamondhitch

Mrmallerd the "each year americans put up with you canadians" at the beginning of a post inferring an inate right to hunt our country did offend me deeply and set me off.

I have many american freinds and they are great people. I had the misfortune of travelling with 1 american who i was ashamed to be seen with as he made a big scene in the istanbul airport shouting "out of my way, american citizen coming through, american citizen. I only come to your country because i have to." As he pushed his way through women and children after standing in the wrong and albeit poorly marked line for 20 min. Those people are few and far between but are the memorable ones. Im sure there were many americans through there that day but only 1 was memorable. Other than that i have only good to say about my experiences with americans, we have a few loudmouth aholes here too though lol.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, in retrosect i hope you see how your comment could be taken as derogatory worded as it was.

Sorry for the highjacking Gene. Have a good hunt.