Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Serious questions

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by baker aka goosenut, Mar 11, 2008.

1. baker aka goosenut

baker aka goosenut Elite Refuge Member

I just came back from a snow goose hunt and i have some questions. How many birds is the current population at and what is the objective goal. Seems this season is getting ridicoulous and something worth while should be done to return this population to a healthy level. To much is at jeopardy here IMO. Hunter ethics and the ecology. I hate to see so many people resort to such Radical behavior to kill birds and make these birds almost impossible to hunt in a ethical manner. I know this will get some ridled up but owell.

2. possumfoot

possumfoot Elite Refuge Member

there snow geese.. they are hard to hunt but not impossibe

3. Josh Michaelis

Josh Michaelis Elite Refuge Member

First of all, what do you mean by "radical behavior", and define "ethical manner"

We are having a great season. Birds are decoying pretty good, maybe you just got stuck with a bum guide :D :D

4. woodduckhunter

woodduckhunter Senior Refuge Member

well, the other alternative is letting the government poison them. how ethical is that?

5. baker aka goosenut

baker aka goosenut Elite Refuge Member

Maybe all the the guides in southeast nebraska are bums cause none of them could kill any over the decoys and there where hundreds of thousands of birds in the area. Radical behavior chasing geese where ever they go jumping ponds cowing birds no wonder these birds fly so high and people say they are smart.:fp Pretty dumb season but it makes the economy money. Woodduck if there is a problem on the artic its 10 years past due my friend. the artic is 10 years more messed up then when the problem began. If there was a real problem on the artic i beleive they would have addressed it in a diffrent manner. Plus there are other ways to fix the problem. Teaching hunters to break all the rules to fix the problem is not a good solution and will have more of a negative impact on hunters all over the country. Poor ethics. In the end people making money on this season are the only winners.

6. woodduckhunter

how is jump shooting geese breaking the rules? you saw the guys that did it and killed 1205, right? Go find some people that killed that many over decoys. Good luck!:tu

7. Josh Michaelis

Josh Michaelis Elite Refuge Member

Who says jumping ponds and cowin em isnt ethical :l

We did good both weekends we hunted, birds got close, decoyed well. So maybe you guys just arent any good at hunting snow geese. Try jumpin em, thats much easier :tu

8. woodduckhunter

decoying them is much more difficult, therefore you won't kill as many. Isn't the whole point of the Conservation Season to lower the total population?

9. maybe they dont decoy as easy because everybody and their brother is chasing them now days. Guide services pop up. Guys come from all over the country to get a piece of the CO. THe hunting pressure has greatly increased. Before the CO, few people even gave them a thought. Now it seems like everyone is after them.

10. FRR

FRR Refuge Member

Goosenutz,

You've got a pretty broad brush.
    Suffice to say that the "leading" edge of the push north has morfed into largely mature birds. Everyone is so gung-ho to be "first" at the migrating birds, the pressure is high. So, snows being snows, they ball up into massive flocks and feed about as smooth as Mel Tillis on speed.

Snows have been flying high since we started tracking them. There's literature from way back that snows tend to fly higher than honkers. Cowing isn't anything but a pretty ingenious way to sneak up on snows. Yeah, it bumps birds that are feeding but nothing "radical" about it.

Guess you do have the option to partake or not.

From the get-go, the idea was to allow for more harvest via the CO, which would be a more cost-effective, and less of a mired-up mess than amending the International Treaties for the "other" ways to "fix" the problem.

You need to help me on this one. Is Nebraska Game and Parks hosting seminars on how to break the rules? Like seminars on "How to drive across a semi-frozen field and unload the Benelli without taking out your side-view mirror". Or, "Ammonium Nitrate - cost effective snow goose population control in a hurry", with the follow-up class, "Snow goose cooking - what to do with itty-bitty chunks of meat". Enlighten me.

You think the CO is the only time poor ethics are displayed? Christ, at least two goose hunters where killed by dipshats pot-shotting geese during regular seasons.

So, somebody willing to take the risk and make the investment to offer guided hunts, farmers leasing out fields, decoy companies offering a more/greater offering of decoys, states selling more permits/stamps/licenses, small business owners selling more food/gas/shells/rooms/new trucks (threw that in for my buddy that center-punched a deer at dark-thirty and bought a new truck 700 miles from home)...these are all bad things? You a gubment employee?

Personally, I so look forward to the spring CO with the full intent of being a winner by my own measure...more time afield with friends doing what we love. And every now and then the white birds put on a show and we shoot #'s of waterfowl in one day that our fathers never dreamed possible since the Good Old Days where long, long ago.

Sorry the white birds put it on you. They'll do that.