Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Serious questions

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by baker aka goosenut, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Josh Michaelis

Josh Michaelis Elite Refuge Member

2. Band Man

Band Man Elite Refuge Member

:l :tu
    Thats a good one right there. Pretty funny.
    You guys take yourselves way too seriously :no If a couple of Numbnutz bother you so much why do you constantly click and read. Im constantly in shock at how many replys this pointless thread gets.

The ONLY thing i can say is its the off season. And hook line and sinker i caught about seven pages worth :dv

Good luck with the rest of the CO Kill as many as you can, anyway you can:tu

To those of you who waisted alot of time and information i truley am sorry. Dont be too ****ed off:l I like to talk about things that do matter also, but it is the offseason in my parts. I dont think its right to go any further,

Have at it boys !!!!

3. Josh Michaelis

Josh Michaelis Elite Refuge Member

There it is........

No hard feelings, I just thought I may get the thread to stop.....It might work :tu

4. Band Man

Agreed its time to end:tu
    It was fun while it lasted :l Theres no point to keep going, I might recieve some death threats in my PM box if i do :eek: :l

People im not as dumb as i led you to believe, the off season is a long ugally thing :sp

We will re start this discussion when the biologists get back information from thier studies, until then I agree, pure waste of time.

5. AVALANCHE

AVALANCHE Senior Refuge Member

I have to disagree with you on this one Goosenut. I can go out and kill Canadas pretty much everyday we go out. Can't do that with Snows.

Honkers are Dumb!! A buddy of mine hunted snows down in Colorado this morning and said he landed throughout the morning 300 canadas in his snow spread and did not shoot at a single snow!

Snow goose huntin' especially decoying them is 100 times harder than Honkers by far!!

You don't see snows hanging out at the parks or golf courses do ya?:dv

We hunt in a highly pressured area for Canadas and we still kill atleast 1 bird everytime we go. And that is on a a crappy day.

I agree that the snows don't have anytime to rest but if we did let them rest we would be finding them dead instead of being able to hunt them.

In Wyoming, We only get I would say anywhere from 20,000 to 50,000 snows a year, maybe more, and with the CO they still make us keep our plugs in and can only shoot 20 a day.

We have started to see snow geese in places that nobody has before. That right there tells me that they are expanding out to find more food sources due to the massive population.

I have only really been hunting snows for about 7 years now and I will tell you guys that I am learning more everyday I go.

Band Man and Goosenut, you guys are ok in my book!:tu

And I definitely believe there is 1.4 million snows at Squaw Creek, you guys can always sen them our way if that is too many for you!:l

6. MALLARD MAGICIAN

MALLARD MAGICIAN Elite Refuge Member

So I'm going to take that as a sort of a no, kinda, maybe not answer. Funny how you and band are so sure of yourselves and opinions about the subject. Ask so many questions of others, but can't come up a Yes or NO answer to a simple question. Either way it doesn't really matter. To Band's reply of a shaky Yes to the 1.4 million, I ask WHAT about that number is believable to you, but all the other numbers that have been supplied to try and help you answer some of your questions are so hard to believe? To goosenut I ask IF you don't believe the 1.4 million number, and you don't believe any of the other numbers posted what number(s) would you trust? If the answer is NONE of them then what foot do you have to stand on to argue for or against any of the hunting regulations?
    Now to try and break a few of the numbers down a bit, and to try to answer a few misunderstandings you two seems to have about the numbers. First to this comment.....
    First off the report referred too never said there WERE 5 million geese in the MC. It said "total number of birds on known breeding colonies likely exceeds 5 million birds"
    Secondly all the other numbers posted which show a population of "approximately 2.6 million birds" is NOT a complete and firm count of all snow geese it is a "population index of mid-continent light geese".
    goosenut you ?may? be close to right about your proposed TOTAL number of snow geese. The problem is your confusing total population numbers with 'index' numbers, they are NOT one in the same.

sometimes I tend to agree with this statement, but in relation to your argument here, it doesn't really apply because YOU are comparing apples & oranges.

You bring up a good point....an interesting point...do you know the answer to your question? It has been answered by some of the reports posted already. What about the snow goose population equation has thrown the balance off?

7. Band Man

If It looks like bait, smells like bait, tastes like bait, its probally bait. Its funny guys are so riled up they still choose to bite after we already told em this thread was one big fat smelly piece of bait. ;)

8. Nodak Duke

Nodak Duke Senior Refuge Member

"Ugly" not "Ugally"

If It looks like **** and smells like ****, well then it's ****.

Good for you that you want to learn more about snows and the CO, but no need to jump into one thread after another badmouthing guys and their various tactics used when truth be told you don't have the slightest clue about the CO and haven't ever even seen it in action.

9. orrghead16

orrghead16 Senior Refuge Member

I would like to see which report you are reading that says that. Any journal or report I have read says that some places are great. I have read articles that say LPB is terrible. Never read a piece of literature that says the arctic as a whole is in terrible shape. Last but not least, hunters usually don't read primary literature. Biologists do. Otherwise we would have a bunch of people interpreting things the wrong way, which is what you are doing. Which is why we don't have you running the CO. I don't think you have really read many reports or, more importantly, journal articles. Moreover, I don't think you have read them without looking for your opinion.

Again, same thing. the EIS report states that it would take about 10 years to stabilize the population. Which, as we are currently finding out, is working. More research will show us more in coming years. Once again, there is no magic change which was going to happen after ten years. Problem was not going to be solved, which is what you think. Population would be stabilizing, which is the goal of the CO. There is absolutely no report, journal, or literature that says the CO would take 10 years to do its job and be done.

You are arguing things that are not mentioned at all in the literature. It makes telling you all these facts and pieces of information futile, really.

One last time, there is a difference in a drastic need and something that needs to be done.

Where did I say or any journal say that we don't want more pressure on snows? that is what we want. However, the pressure on other waterfowl is immense, even though we are not shooting them. Lots of literature on that, I can pull it up when I get more time. Year round hunting would have consequences to deal with outside of the snow goose population. As I said before, you have to look at the whole picture.

PO

10. blklabs2

blklabs2 Senior Refuge Member

Readind h2os, copy of sd conservation order, they agree not enough being killed and want you to kill as many as possible, why a 20 bird limit?? just wondering not bitching!!!