Serpitine Belt

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by JDK, Aug 7, 2018.

1. JDK

JDK Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Hello All Just curious what is the life expectancy of a serpentine belt I currently have a little over 80,000 miles on my truck looks great no cracks just curious what to expect out of it.

2. Rolen_Zen

Rolen_Zen Senior Refuge Member

On my 2008 F150 it went about 150K miles. I had an idler pulley going bad, so I bought a kit with all of the pulleys and serpentine belt and replaced them all. The belt was in pretty rough shape. It's one of those things you don't think about until it's gone, or the dealership tells you it's part of their <certain mileage> service.

3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Currently 291k. Funny you bring this up, I was just thinking about it a few hours ago. Was gonna replace mine when I got back to town. Surely past it’s due date. I’d say 150-200k.

4. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

201K on my 2002 GMC, same belt. Wish I hadn't said that, it'll let go tomorrow.

stevena198301 likes this.
  5. linhardt

linhardt Senior Refuge Member

Mine bit the dust going 70 MPH down the highway last Friday at 210K on a '03 Silverado. Instantly knew what happened when it was hard to steer because of no power steering and immediately pulled over and called AAA. Don't need an overheated engine and warped heads. Doesn't take but mere seconds after driving 70 on a highway all morning for it to overheat because of no serpentine belt.

6. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

I have a squeeky cracked one on my 88 f350 that I keep saying I need to replace each time use it for a dump run. I would say I'd it is not cracked or squeaking you should be fine.

7. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Replace at 100K so you do not get stranded along the road. I replace stuff like belts, hoses, alternators before they fail. 100 K is a pretty good "service life" for those kinds of things. Do the antifreeze change, belts, and hoses all at once. I replace batteries at 5 years.

Tuleman and linhardt like this.
  8. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I'm with California Flyway: change the belt at 100K miles. No one needs a belt going out when you are on your way to the duck marsh at 4:30AM.
    What's a belt cost, ten dollars?? And takes, what, 15 minutes to swap??

9. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I've got an old Landcruiser with an all-iron straight 6. Was going duck hunting one morning a few years ago and just as I hit the interstate the water pump went out, and thus the temp shot up and pegged the gauge--over 260. I was wanting to rebuild or swap the motor the anyway so I said screw it and kept driving to the next town(wasn't a turn around until then anyway) about 10 miles away. Wound up driving about 20-25 miles with the temp pegged. Changed the water pump, filled her back up, and it's never missed a lick since.

As for the OP's belt, I'd go ahead and change it. They're not expensive and takes about 3 minutes to change. Keep the old one in the truck for a spare.

10. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Have you swapped one on a 5.7 Toyota motor? If so, is it easy? Just by looking down there, it looks tougher than a “back in the day” motor. Chebbys were always easy enough.