Service Air Bag light

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by Feet_Down, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Feet_Down

Feet_Down Refuge Member

I have a 2006 GMC Sierra and the service airbag light has come one. I know that this will cost a fortune just to get diagnosed and i wanted to see if anyone new of any quick fixes that may help. I tried disconnecting the battery and reseting everything but it didn't work. I can only imagine what a dealer will charge me to fix it if they want to charge $90 to diagnose.

Any quick fixes are appreciated!

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I googled your problem, and there is a lot of info out there. Could be as simple as water in the electronics. However, you have to have the proper code reader, and $90 was the going rate.

3. AK Dux

AK Dux Elite Refuge Member

I had the same thing happen on a Dodge. For mine, it was simply resetting the computer or something along those lines.

They did say if that light comes on, you shouldn't drive it.

4. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

my wifes 2006 suburban just popped the service air bag light as well. Unfortunately my code reader I own won't pick it up. Have done some research on the net and it appears the front sensors are prone to going up and are relatively cheap to replace if you can get a code reader to identify which one it is. I have it on my bucket list to find someone who can cheaply diagnose it so I don't have to pay $100. It makes you wonder if chevy/gmc didn't program something in the computer to make them automatically go on at a certain year.

5. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Some of the auto parts chain stores will read your codes for free. Perhaps you have one near you that will assist? Until I bought my own code reader (not expensive; less than $250), I used AutoZone.

6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

They will, but most of the research I did, because I was curious, is that a regular reader won't cut it. Needs to be a special one, and most comments were that only the dealers had them.

Things change tho.

7. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

I got my air bag light diagnosed for $30 dollars at a Mr. Tire. They wouldn't do the repair due to the possibility of throwing the entire air bag system. They said it was one of the front bumper crash sensors. I picked up a dorman sensor from advance auto for $80 and had a repair shop install it for $80. the guy at that shop said the sensors typically go for $200 or better just for the part.

8. bigmike66

bigmike66 Senior Refuge Member

Does the light flash at all before it comes on solid? If it does, count the flashes. For example four flashes pause three flashes is code 43. It may go through that sequence a few times before it stays on. A quick Google search should tell you what the code means.

9. armallard

armallard Senior Refuge Member

My 03 Blazer comes on rver now and then I hit the horn and it goes off.:scratch

10. duckblind

duckblind Senior Refuge Member

I have the same issue on my 2006 Silverado. Napa has the best prices I have seen on these. They are 1 bolt. If you don't want to pay for the testing you can trying and change one and see if the light goes out. If it does you know to fixed the right one. Mine was on my passenger side.