Service---right to refuse?

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by lancej, Mar 5, 2007.

Do you, or your company reserve the right to refuse service

Poll closed Apr 4, 2007.
  1. Never

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Always

12 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. I Don't Work

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. lancej

lancej Elite Refuge Member

Just wondering, how many of you, or your companies, reserve the right to refuse service?

Lance

2. Duckhunter7

Duckhunter7 Senior Refuge Member

Wish we could. Thats the bad thing about public education:D

3. okie drake

okie drake Elite Refuge Member

Not sure where you're headed, but interesting poll. In Oklahoma, I personally can refuse to fill any RX, period. I cannot refuse to give it back, refuse to let other staff (if applicable) fill it, or refuse to transer it. Which is all one reason the calls for mandated filling of any legal RX were so ridiculous. If you want it filled and your pharmacy doesn't want to do it, find somewhere else. I would imagine this principle would hold for other professions as well. With private property rights and civil rights however, you can get into an interesting question.

Sorry to be so lengthy, probably not the intent of the thread and I genuinely apologize.:tu

4. Packman

Packman Elite Refuge Member

The only time anybody in the armed services can refuse to do something is when they are ordered to do something that they feel is unsafe in a non war type situation.

If it is for war they have no right to refuse.

Example of what I was asked to do and refused to do for a few hours but was willing to do so later or if with situation was made safe.

I was asked to carry a 300 lb aircraft gun across a wet floor that was slick with new paint in parts and wax in parts for a non war time reason.

I and my crew chief refused when the shop we were recieving the gun from had the ability to lay down rubber mats for us to walk on and carry the gun out. They refused to do so because it would require them to repaint parts floor.

We were in an excercise but they were not. They thought they had down time but were not as they ended up having to deliver four guns they due to a miskate by an O1 never heard about our excercise.

Had we refused to get the gun because we were not under fire and it was not our conisderation about thier floor.

We wanted to do our job but because they did not want to repaint we were rivals in thier eyes. Sad but true.

We won the excercise and got our gun in the plane just in time due to another crew that had parts we needed installed ahead of time.

Again the only time a service member can refuse to follow an order is when they are not at war or in war time and only for saftey reasons: with exemptions: and then thier refusal can still be considered a derliction of duty in some instances.

The NCO that did not want to repaint the floor because of not wanting to make his guys do work over recieved an LOR.

A person can refuse duty but the times are rare and better be for a good saftey reason and the chance of being shot or in danger due to war is not one of them.

Please add to what I have said those that are on active duty if I am wrong or right.

5. flashman

flashman Elite Refuge Member

I can see (or importantly not see) any patient that I want. I probably fire about 2 to 3 per year for total non-compliance with the prescribed regimen. And we have an arbitration agreement which they MUST sign at the time of the first visit; if they refuse to do so, it's bye-bye.

6. 'tween_fly_ways

'tween_fly_ways Moderator Moderator

Unfortunately, I now work for the government. . . so that would be "never".

I am generally for the right of private enterprise to refuse service--for any reason. I'd like to hear why that shouldn't be.

7. GregorMac

GregorMac Senior Refuge Member

I work for a general contractor so, we do exercise some discernment when deciding which jobs to take.

8. Lowtide

Lowtide Elite Refuge Member

Self employed here, so I could refuse service to someone if I wanted to.

9. 'tween_fly_ways

'tween_fly_ways Moderator Moderator

Still wondering?

10. yellowlab03

yellowlab03 Elite Refuge Member

God I wish we could... I have to deal with WAY too many stupid people.

YL03