Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

Setting eyes

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by Rick Egner, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Rick Egner

Rick Egner Refuge Member

Was shown by a master how to measure and set eyes. I've got issues still with the eyes not fitting properly. My thought is he measures fron the nortril to the cent er of eye, seems to me like it ought to be from the piont on top of the bill closest to the eye. Sure could use some help on this, I've always struggled with my eyes. Thanks

2. dar.k

dar.k New Member

I measure to the bottom of jaw also . you could have the right distance from the bill but one to high or to low . inject the eyes with water and measure the distance between also

3. Brad's Birds

Brad's Birds Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I posted this the first time you asked (not the "master"). There is no "one way" to measure and/or set eyes. Take as many measurements as necessary to get the results you want. There are plenty of reference points to measure from on a duck head, ie ear, nares, nail, gape,......

http://refugeforums.com/refuge/threads/eyes.985220/

4. Rick Egner

Rick Egner Refuge Member

Where did you get the calipers you have pictured, I'd like a set, you make it look easy. Thanks again Brad.

5. Frank Lopez

Frank Lopez Elite Refuge Member

Rick, I'm no expert, but if you're having trouble, take multiple measurements. Take a measurement from the corner of the mouth, another from the top of the bill and one from the nostril (I would think the nostril is the least accurate if you're using a commercial head.) Once you have the three measurements, you can superimpose them and minimize your error. I have three sets of calipers that I use for a multitude of things. They're actually wood working tools. I have an inside, an outside and straight dividers. mostly I use the outside and the straight, but the inside could come in handy.

Frank