Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Setting up decoys

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by jdlysne, Nov 26, 2017.

1. jdlysne

jdlysne New Member

I’m curious on how people are setting up 800-1000 snow goose decoy spreads? I’m kind of new to the snow goose world so any help will be greatly appreciated

2. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

3. GOOSEMANRDK

GOOSEMANRDK Senior Refuge Member

Need to know more. Permanent spread vs moving daily spread?

4. jdlysne

jdlysne New Member

5. GK1

GK1 Elite Refuge Member

Get to the field...get out in the field...grab decoys...set decoys.

6. jdlysne

jdlysne New Member

I know how to set up decoys, I’m more so wondering about the actual layout pattern

7. GOOSEMANRDK

For hunting the X, I try to set the spread to mimic how I saw the birds feeding when I scouted the field. Usually ends up being a central "ball"(for hiding) of decoys with scattered groups all around. The higher the wind, the more on the downwind side the ball is with less isolated groups out down wind, less wind and the ball is more central with more isolated groups downwind and all around.

jdlysne likes this.
  8. GOOSEMANRDK

With all of my waterfowl hunting, I try to get away from setting a "spread" and try to actually set a fake flock of birds. I don't try and do things to get the birds to go where I want them, or to try and "trap" them. I set something that hopefully the birds find a comfortable place to want to be in. If that happens to be right were I want them from the get go, A+. If not, I move the blinds, and only the blinds to be able to shoot them where they want to be. Usually a small shift is all that is needed.

9. jdlysne

jdlysne New Member

Awesome thanks for the reply!

10. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

We run about 1000 socks and 15 Sillosocks flappers. We have one main group, about 700, where the callers, flappers, and blinds are. We split the remainder of the decs in half and set one group about 50 yards one way and the group 50 yards the other way.
    This has helped make it look bigger and pull traffic birds and it’s not one white blob.
    We don’t hunt the X but instead choose a really good flight path. Since it’s typically 2 or 3 of us, it’s hard to chase the X since it changes daily.