Sharing call pic's # 16 Cecil Wellborn

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by 5Woodies, Jun 1, 2013.

1. 5Woodies

5Woodies Elite Refuge Member

After several years of looking and some help from a new friend ( Ryan Graves )I finally aquired a Cecil Wellborn metal reed . I have heard some great stories of Cecil while he lived in Colusa CA. and would love to hear from anyone that has information , stories or any pictures Of Cecil and his calls .

Thanks in advance Bart Willis

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

NICE CALL BART !
    Cecil was from what I hear a grumpy old man that didn't have much to say ,unless he was teaching you to blow his calls...............This is what everyone told me. I can't believe that ,because he was awesome the afternoon I met him for the first time.
    I have told this story before, so here are the cliff notes.
    He was hunting the rice one day a few fields over from me ,way before spinners.
    Cecil had the birds on a string , not just a few it was a constant show.
    After hearing the funky calling I waited at my truck until he walked to his old truck , just to ask him what in the hell was he blowing.

Well it was one of his home made calls..........after working with Cecil he pulled the call off the old string lanyard and gave it to me.

Years later that call was lost in a very tragic event................that changed my life. (Lost a very close friend)
    Much like you I always wanted to find a replacement call, then Ryan Graves remembered my story and traded me the Welborn I have today.:bow:bow:bow
    This call only hunts a few weekends a year ,and it still calls ducks in tight.
    I can't post a picture my photo account is all jacked up and my phone ain't to smart.....actually it is a old school flip phone.
    I 'll see if I can get a picture up some how !
    Awesome call..you got a good one brother.
    DK

3. Cootshooter3

Cootshooter3 Elite Refuge Member

I had one at one time.:yes I think it is back on the West Coast. Barrel inside is made like a Turpin. Great Calls.

4. Reelcalls

Reelcalls Senior Refuge Member

Cecil used to hunt a lot at the club I hunt at now. He also used to live out there
    during the summer while the owner traveled. The first year I hunted that club (Which was also the year Cecil died) the owner gave me a brand new Wellborn in the original packaging which was a plastic baggy, he told me Cecil probably built that call in the late eighty's. A couple of years later I was sitting in the blind looking at the call and thought to myself, I bet I could make something like that, and that's what got me into building calls. I know several guys in the valley that have put their Wellborns on their display racks and blow my calls. I only wish I could have met Cecil.

5. Ryan Graves

Ryan Graves Elite Refuge Member

That call belongs in California, not the river bottoms of Ky/Tn:tu

6. 5Woodies

5Woodies Elite Refuge Member

7. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

I wish I still had my original call bag ! :l:l:l
    Thanks for the reminder Randy, I totally forgot about those plastic bags.:tu
    I also know a few guys that do just as you described with their calls Randy.:bow

8. auto5

auto5 Elite Refuge Member

9. vdrive_60

vdrive_60 New Member

10. vdrive_60

vdrive_60 New Member

Here's a Cecil Wellborn from the mid 60's that belonged to my dad. I just wish I could get my hands on his Belgium Browning o/u as well!