Sharing call pic's # 16 Cecil Wellborn

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by 5Woodies, Jun 1, 2013.

1. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Here is a a video showing Glenn making a Wellborn duck call.

Mr.Bones and 5Woodies like this.
  2. 5Woodies

5Woodies Elite Refuge Member

Here is a call I picked up made by Cecile's Son Glen . I am really pleased to see that this thread took off . Welborne Call.jpg

3. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

There looks to be a bit of an up slope on the T.B. or is it the angle of the picture ?
    How does it blow compared to his dad's calls ? Same ...easier...harder ?
    Nice look'in call Bart !

4. 5Woodies

5Woodies Elite Refuge Member

They blow differently but from what I have heard and read , tuning a old metal reed is a full time job . Cecile's call blows very easily for me with Glen's call needing more air .

5. callinfowl

Scooter / Wellbon user on the forums exclusively blows old Cecil calls.
    I asked him about the need to retune his Wellborn calls.
    " Don't touch them" he said he hasn't messed with his reed at all in over 30 years.
    I have one that I have never touched and one that I tweaked to get it to sound how I wanted it to .
    I haven't noticed the birds reacting to one or the other any differently.
    For some reason they like the funky sound of those old calls.
    I had birds that wouldn't blink at my Old DC or CWF this year, only to turn inside out at the first two notes of the old Wellborn call............I can't explain it !:scratch:scratch:scratch
    The only thing that comes to mind is birds don't necessarily hear things the way we do.
    I think we get caught up in what we think sounds best to our ears and don't consider that , that just might not be what the birds want to or how they hear .
    I've seen it so many times , the best mallard caller I have ever seen and hunted with for several years. Worked birds way more consistently then myself or anyone else I ever saw for that matter and he sounded god awful to me and had the strangest cadence I have ever heard.
    Where he shined was reading birds and his timing.
    The guy broke off and pulled more birds to finish then anyone I have ever seen by far.
    It was something hunting with him , he taught me more about calling at ducks then anyone else that I have hunted with in my 40+ years of calling at ducks.:tu

Thanks Bart........I need to check out some of Glen's calls next time I'm up around Colusa.
    Maybe during our late season goose hunts.:tu

6. Reelcalls

Reelcalls Senior Refuge Member

The only thing that comes to mind is birds don't necessarily hear things the way we do.
    I think we get caught up in what we think sounds best to our ears and don't consider that , that just might not be what the birds want to or how they hear .

I agree

7. mudhen

mudhen Elite Refuge Member

Interesting stuff for sure...

I belonged to the same club as Reelcalls for a few years...the owner also gave me a "new in bag" Wellborn in 2003...I could never really get much out of that call, despite Cecil trying to tune it in Oct of 2003 using his "patented" thumbnail tuning process!

As I was driving Cecil back to his residence in Williams that year, he said he would rebuild my call or make me another...sadly, he was very ill at that time, and died the next year, so the upgrade never happened...

Cecil knew his calls were tricky...many bought several calls just to find one they liked...he would tweak calls, reeds, barrels, whatever the customer wanted...his calls were never that expensive at retail, so no one seemed to care much...

I sold my CW a few years ago because I needed the funds...

I think I gave my GW call to BDG as a gift, he is a great keeper of duck call lore...

Like many, I own and use several of Reelcalls' calls...they sound good...pretty sure he still makes them...money well spent...

Cecil had/has one main "carrier of the Wellborn torch", but that person demanded lifetime anonymity from me, so his/her name must never be spoken by me...

I didn't spend much time with Cecil, but I found him to be very passionate about hunting, and extremely enjoyable to be around...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Wood-Dro

Wood-Dro Elite Refuge Member

I don't have a Welborn, but I do have a call from his Protege Max Teeter. I stumbled on this call 25+ years ago and have seen little, if any information about this call/maker.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. callinfowl

I've always liked that call you have Troy.
    I like how the wedge is held in place with that O ring , pretty slick idea.

10. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Callinfowl posted,

"For some reason they like the funky sound of those old calls.
    I had birds that wouldn't blink at my Old DC or CWF this year, only to turn inside out at the first two notes of the old Wellborn call............I can't explain it !:scratch:scratch:scratch
    I think we get caught up in what we think sounds best to our ears and don't consider that , that just might not be what the birds want to or how they hear."

On a club I used to hunt there was a guy in a nearby blind that blew an old, wood call. To me it sounded flat, nasally and croaky. His calling usually involved a simple there note greeting when birds where finishing he would blow notes that sounded like the ones you blow for Canvasbacks. Whatever it was there were many days he would finish ducks that made a swing through our spread and heard our acrylic jazz. But then again there were days we would rule.
    I have been trying out some wood calls to have something like that in my arsenal. Any excuse for more calls is a good one.