Shells

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Nocalhonker, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Nocalhonker

Nocalhonker Elite Refuge Member

It surprises me at how many guys will buy cases of shells to try because they are cheap. I can understand grabbing a couple boxs to try. I find something that works and I tend to stick with it for the most part, I'll buy a box of other shells to pattern and try but not cases. 20 to 40 bucks extra for shells over the course of the season is cheap to have a good load you are confident in. That's why I reload so I can have confidence in my load to do its job, the bad part is sometimes I have to look in the mirror and say shake yourself and hit something.

mark seaters likes this.
  2. Real Green

Real Green Elite Refuge Member

Regarding patterning factory loads. Once you find the factory load you like how often do you need to confirm it still patterns the same? I would assume factory loads can change year in year out.

3. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

I occasionally buy a case to try if a decent deal - as like to put a couple on paper and then my son and I shoot it on couple different days and see what we think and also to make sure you are just not shooting it on an off day. Happens rarely. I buy what I have confidence in and that is Kent 3" 3s. When deals come along, I but lots and have stocked up for the internet ban. My non-spending on ammo next year will cover my trip to Canada.

4. AJCsurf

AJCsurf Elite Refuge Member

I patterned a hodge podge of shells about 7 years ago through my fixed mod choke 870. 3" and 2 3/4" no 2, 3, 4

The conclusion I came too: I should never miss with 6 dollar or 21 dollar shells.

That put more confidence in my shooting than any $25 box of shells ever did...

Dan Mallia and freefall like this.
  5. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

After a lot of patterning and hunting, I too have settled on 3inch, 11/8 Kents in #2 and #3's as my standard, go to loads.

Below is 40 yrd pattern from my Berretta A400 factory modified choke.
    Clean kills at 40 on big ducks or Specks is no problem if I do my part

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  6. craig wilson

craig wilson Elite Refuge Member

I tried a new shell last year, new to me anyway. Kent teal steel #5's absolutely love the load

dwhauss likes this.
  7. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

I buy cheap shells. Kills just fine. Last great deal up here was $89 a case for some SCORE brand 1 1/8 1450 fps loads. That works out to $72.40 USD per case of shells.

8. Jim Dandy

Jim Dandy Elite Refuge Member

I have never bought a case of shells in a load that I haven't tried before. I patterned some different loads out of different guns a few years ago. Sure it was informative but for me the real test is on flying birds. I have killed many birds with cheap shells that other hunters have said are complete junk. I've shot horribly with both cheap loads and very expensive loads. I've shot well with both also. The conclusion I came to is any 3" steel load that shoots well and cleanly and has 1 1/4 oz or higher payload (personal preference I don't like 1 1/8 oz loads) at 1400 FPS or higher is good for me. The brand I have found to be best and most consistent killer is Fiocchi. I like Kent a lot but for me the Fiocchi is just as good, maybe better, and less money. I must say in my experience I have never found a steel load, cheap or otherwise, that didn't pattern good enough out of an IC choke. But by no means have I tried them all. Confidence, however it is achieved, in a particular load means everything to me. For me that comes from Fiocchi.

Dandy

Silver Wings likes this.
  9. Big Daddy Gaddy

Big Daddy Gaddy Elite Refuge Member

I'd bet that less than 10% of duck hunters have ever patterned a shotgun. Cheap shells by the case are sold on price point, plain and simple.

freefall likes this.
  10. Big Daddy Gaddy

Big Daddy Gaddy Elite Refuge Member

And expensive shells are sold on marketing.

freefall likes this.