Shells

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Nocalhonker, Sep 19, 2017.

1. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Roster based on his testing and what the excerpt says that at about 40 yards it is not significant, the faster pellets have slowed down and at 40 yards not a significant difference. Yes there is recoil, that is where heavy gun and gas auto come into play a little.

2. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

Lol..you lost me....you must be an engineer.

I think the point is fast loads don't have any more lethality down range at a certain point. That's what I take from it and from years of experience I agree with that.

sisqsprig likes this.
  3. blackdog58

blackdog58 Elite Refuge Member

Perfect pellet material? Until one cracks a tooth...or a crown on it.

When folks are talking speeds, I personally don't think its all to ensure clean kills. Its more along the line of less lead.....making shooting easier. Or, as the marketing department says.....shoot farther.

mudhen likes this.
  4. craig wilson

craig wilson Elite Refuge Member

Just gonna throw a monkey wrench into all of this. Do you think the factory loads are traveling as fast as they say they are? just asking.

5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Some are. Kents usually are within 10-20fps. A lot depends on temps, and even altitude. Barrel length can come into play also.
    Freezing cold, sea level, short barrel, you can easily be 100-150fps short

6. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Dang ! you're spot-on again ! :tu

7. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

I have spent the time to pattern the Kent Fast Steel. I can say, I find very few pellets in my ducks which tells me I am getting good pass through with the 1,550 velocity.
    The Kents are at the recoil threshold I do not want to go above with payloads above 11/8 or more velocity with loads such as the Remington hypers.

8. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

You know as well as I most any load will kill waterfowl , it's the ability to center your target with the pattern , that has the most effect of any load !
    You can't kill'em any deader than dead in the air ! :l:l:yes

9. sisqsprig

sisqsprig Senior Refuge Member

Lol, sorry bout that. Not an engineer but did stay at a Holiday Inn Express a few times.

10. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Its great to have a theoretical "best load", but the proof is in the pudding, as they say. I don't have a lot of faith in paper targets, as we are dealing with four dimensions, three dimensions of space, and of time, and the shot pattern will change throughout all four of these dimensional parameters.

You have to take your loads to the field, and try them. How do they kill? More wounding? Do you check your birds for pellet holes ? Head and neck holes? Chest? Gut/wounded? This is where the rubber meets the road, and the theoretical now becomes practical. Over the last 10 years, I have gone from primarily reloading my own to buying cases of cheaper shells (2.75" 1 ounce to 1 1/8 oz 1350 to 1650 fps loads) of different brands, and taking them into the field and trying them in the field. Overall, I don't find a lot of differences between brands. If I pattern the birds properly, they die.

QED

I missed? likes this.