Shells

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Nocalhonker, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Overall :p more people should take this advice. If the birds are in range, inside 40 yards, and you put the pattern on the bird, they die. The tighter your choke, the better shot you need to be. The larger the pellets, the tighter your choke needs to be to ensure hitting a vital. If you are not an exceptional shot, you are well served opening the choke, and using smaller pellets. The brand name on the shell doesn't matter. (Or, the choke, for that matter)

2. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Native the theory I always see with steel, if you are shooting anything larger than 2s, you better be using IC or Skeet choke as those pellets do not like being tightly choked plus with modified and above run risk of having choke tube getting bulged resulting in a stuck choke tube.

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Yea, no argument. Then again, it makes sense to have an open choke with that many pellets. Why group em up tightly?

I go to the Lt Mod in my 20 (Carlsons). In fact, I have I/C-Lt Mod in for next week. (Baikal O/U) Sometimes I go to the Mod, late season, depending on how spooky the birds have been, but not often.

4. CADUCKWHACKER

CADUCKWHACKER Senior Refuge Member

Good man I must say I love to shoot my cynergy O/U for ducks ,
    Glad to see you shoot an O/U in the blind also