Shingle questions steep pitch 12/12 or 14/12 what are the best ones?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Lip Shooter, Dec 6, 2017.

1. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Researched the Tesla ones, but they are outrageous. Not to mention all the other stuff you'd have to buy (batteries, inverter, etc) if you didn't already own it.

A Tesla roof for my house was over $80K, IIRC.

2. cast&blast

cast&blast Senior Refuge Member

$80,000 ? Yikes. That's a non starter for me. Thanks for saving me the trouble of researching them.

3. stevena198301

That was shingles, inverter, batteries, etc. And then they have to be installed...

4. Lip Shooter

Lip Shooter Elite Refuge Member

I wanted metal but my wife said no. So looking for the best asphalt shingle that will not get peeled up in the wind.

5. stevena198301

@cast&blast Looks like the price is dropping though. They are claiming an average of less than $22/sq ft now. If you use their calculator, it factors in "savings" due to offsetting your power bill (which could or couldn't be accurate). If I spend $90K (the price of my roof on Tesla's website with the 2 required "Powerwalls" I'd need), I should be able to get a tax credit for $22K, and offset the cost over 30 years, and save $700 a year (that includes their calculation of how much money I'll save on my power bill over the same period). Essentially, it equates out to just about the same cost. That'd be OK, but we have no idea how long these products actually last, as they have no long term track record (yet).

At this time, I'm steering clear of them until they get some miles on them at other owners expenses. I have a relatively new roof. Maybe by the time I need them, they will have it hammered out.

Very innovative stuff though.

6. stevena198301

7. Lip Shooter

Lip Shooter Elite Refuge Member