Shocks vs struts

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by victorlvlb, May 10, 2013.

1. victorlvlb

victorlvlb Elite Refuge Member

Whats the big deal ? Shocks seem to be alot cheaper to replace.

2. BaRtMaN

BaRtMaN Moderator Sponsor Moderator

Front end struts take care of a lot of unsprung weight and geometry problems, such as bump steer it moves the spring and allows it to be longer and not such short travel. They are also a larger shaft, larger resavour of oil and stay cooler longer. There are many good things from trucks to dirt late models that struts are great for.

3. victorlvlb

BaRtMaN
    Thanks for the reply. Now break it down to simple language so I can understand. I had an f150 4x4 2000, I had the heavy duty shocks on it ,the ones with the coil springs around them. I think they costed me around $30.00 a piece, and I installed them. The struts on my truck now, f150 4x4 will cost me $200.00 a piece, installed.The shocks lasted me over 60,000 miles, the struts have to be replaced every 50,000 miles. What is it that will benifit me with the struts?

4. BaRtMaN

BaRtMaN Moderator Sponsor Moderator

With stock struts, nothing, with good after market struts a bunch. They are have a larger resivour for oil and gas, they are valved differently as well so they will handle and ride better too. They will also last longer.

Ford did this to save on un-sprung weight and over all weight. unsprung weight is weight that is not carried by the springs (like anything that moves in the suspension and tires and wheels). This is from memory from a long time ago so don't quote me, but here goes, anything unsprung is considered 10 times its weight to the suspension and things like tires and wheels are very light now for that reason plus the reason of acceleration and fuel mileage. The rearends are made much lighter to cut down on unsprung weight and the front end only will have one A frame and then it will use the strut to replace the upper a frame and the strut uses a much longer spring then the coil over type that your old truck used and it makes it ride and handle better too.

I hope maybe that helps some.

5. victorlvlb

BaRtMaN

Thanks for setting me straight.