Shooting Jakes???

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by DrakeDuster01, Mar 3, 2006.

1. DrakeDuster01

DrakeDuster01 Elite Refuge Member

This will be my first season chasing spring gobblers and I have a question. Whenever anyone talks about turkeys all you hear about are the longbeards. Is it considered taboo to shoot jakes or is it just personal preference? I have managed to bag a nice tom during our fall season by luck but was not targeting turkeys. (Right place , right time) I don't expect the spring season to be a cake walk and want to know if it's acceptable to harvest a jake if I'm fortunate enough to call one in. BTW, in Florida all bearded birds are legal so this a question of ethics not legality. Thanks for the responses in advance.

2. huntinkid

huntinkid Elite Refuge Member

I shot my first turkey last year, which was a jake. I think it is all personal preference. I don't see why anyone would look down upon you just because you shot a jake.

3. SCTC

SCTC Elite Refuge Member

Shooting a jake is fine if that's what you want to do. You'll see a lot of guys who refuse to shoot them (me included) after they have some turkeys under their belt because we prefer the challenge associated with a mature tom. Jakes are considered by many to be an easy quarry, especially early in the season. I've noticed that they smarten up pretty quick over the course of a spring season, though. It's your hunt, do what you want. Don't let anyway give you any grief over shooting a jake. A lot of us started off with jakes as our first turkey. Enjoy the season and who knows what will happen, you could get a big gobbler when you were thinking jake.

I will be taking my 9 year old son next spring for his first turkey hunt with a gun and he will have the green light if the first bird that comes in is a jake.

4. olduckhunter

olduckhunter Elite Refuge Member

they are legal. don't feel bad about shooting them and don't let anyone put you down for shooting a jake. i've seen'em come in full strut and just as wary as a longbeard. their eyesight is just as good and they eat better.

old

5. rouser1

rouser1 Senior Refuge Member

Iowa....juuuuust a bit outside West Des Moines
    I've shot them generally as a last resort to fill a tag. I have yet to take a bird with a bow...if I get a shot at a Jake this year while bowhunting...I am taking it.

Nothing wrong with taking a jake at all.

6. duckcommander 101

duckcommander 101 Elite Refuge Member

If you've never killed a turkey before, shoot a jake if you get a chance, this will get the big zero off your mind and you will have some success to keep you motivated when pursuing a big tom.

My first was a jake, luckily enough he had two beards.

Both of my sons first birds were jakes on their first days ever hunting turkeys.

I am of the school of thought that if the hunt is steadily closing in on its end you take what is offered.

Here in MI you apply for a hunting area and set dates you can hunt. Some hunts/areas only run 6 days which isn't alot of time to get on a bird if you're hunting a long ways from home and cannot scout alot ahead of time.

7. flywaycontrol

flywaycontrol Senior Refuge Member

Shooting a jake is fine to get you first few,but remember this years jakes are next years longbeards.

8. offroadbaby

offroadbaby Elite Refuge Member

I don't know if you've seen Double Bull Outdoors, but I agree w/ their philosophy 100%....if legal and in range, it's in trouble. I'm not a trophy hunter, just an avid outdoorsman. I'll shoot a Jake in a second. I think the hunting community has gotten way too caught up in "size matters" crap. It's about the hunt, challenge and experience; not trophy status. Shoot what makes you happy, don't worry about worry about what some nuckle head with an inferiority complex thinks. To give you an example of what I mean, we have an either sex fall season here and I take the first bird that gives me an ethical, clean shot...yes, even hens. They taste just as good as a tom. Don't get me wrong, I have taken some nice toms, but not because of their size, but because they gave me the shot before another one did.
    Good luck, and enjoy your hunt.:tu

9. BamaBuckshot

BamaBuckshot Elite Refuge Member

Here in Bama, we are allowed to shoot 5 toms. I will take a jake every once in a while. It all depends on where I'm hunting. If I see a group of jakes, you better believe one of them is going down. But if I see one or two, I'll let them live another year.:)

10. duksnbuks

duksnbuks Senior Refuge Member

the first turkey i ever shot was a jake and i was as proud of it as any longbeard i have ever taken! i have taken a few jakes since then, it just depends on location, time of the season, if i have killed anything yet or not. i agree to harvest a jake or two for the experience and to get a little confidence, then concentrate on the longbeards. also remember that a jake today will be a longbeard next year. :tu