Shooting Jakes???

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by DrakeDuster01, Mar 3, 2006.

1. pudldux

pudldux Elite Refuge Member

maybe we should not shoot 2 yr old hollywoods either, them guys damn near pull the trigger themselves.

2. peewee

peewee Elite Refuge Member

I have no problem pulling the trigger on a two year old bird. Here in MS we can kill 3 gobblers. But I wouldn't kill one for my last bird, with the exception of being a bow kill.

3. lwingwatcher

lwingwatcher Elite Refuge Member

Me too....never have, never will. Not lookin down my nose at anybody, I just don't care if I kill a bird (even a mature tom) or not...but, I do like to get pics.

4. OutaShells

OutaShells Elite Refuge Member

Even if you go out this year wearing white pants and shirt with bells on your boots using a small pocket knife to take a 25lb 12"beard 1 3/4" spurred Eastern bird, there would still be the holier than thou barney or topwater calling purists who would say that you are not a true turkey hunter because you weren't hunting with your left hand while wearing an eye patch hanging upside down from a tree in the southern states.

He!! if so many people are out there for "The Challenge" or "The Experience" why are you using a 10 ga. or a camoflauged blind or 3" 12 ga shells or a gun for that matter? They all make the hunt easier.

You are a true turkey hunter if you take a legal bird by legal methods. Period. Don't let any insecure dip wad tell you different.

5. peewee

peewee Elite Refuge Member

OutaShells there isn't anyone looking down on folks for shooting jakes if its legal. I did it when it was legal and when I first started out. It just isn't for me anymore, I would prefer to take an adult bird.

6. Spoonbilla

Spoonbilla Banned

let a jake walk in front of me.....see if he dont die...you cant judge a mallard when he comes in the dekes to see how old he is....i have killed prolly close to 50 turkeys spring/fall and shoot jakes just like i would if it was my first bird....im all about smellin em in da pot:D

7. augustus_65

augustus_65 Elite Refuge Member

It's just a matter of personal preference and how you think you should manage your turkey population. Just as many folks don't think twice about shooting a spike. If you are managing for big bucks, you have to let those youngsters reach maturity. I feel the same with turkeys. I'll let jakes walk because I prefer to hunt more mature gobblers. I'll kill a two year old all day long becuase he has reached a level a maturity and is a gobbling bird. I see this as being different from shooting juvenile ducks for the simple reason that ducks are migratory and the turkeys aren't. I know the jake I let walk this season will most likely be on my place the next season and will be more of a joy to hunt when he is hammering before day light. I had a group of six jakes come 15 yards from me Saturday morning. It was fun to sit back and watch them. They weren't very wary and I would have been ashamed of myself had I waylaid one. That's just my own preference.

8. Gotchya

Gotchya Elite Refuge Member

You need to do what is right in your own mind, not what anyone else thinks or says. You are the one who will be the ultimate judge of your decision to pull the trigger or let him walk!!:tu Most likely you WON'T know until it's time to pull the trigger....that's when you'll make your final decision!

9. knees

knees Elite Refuge Member

There's nothing wrong with killing a jake. It's a matter of personal preference. The first 1/2 dozen or so birds that I killed were jakes, now I hold out for longbeards. But I don't "look down" at anyone who kills a jake. Turkey hunting is about as fun as it gets--enjoy it!

10. OutaShells

OutaShells Elite Refuge Member

I think in states where you can shoot only one bird in a very short season most hunters will take what they can get and taking 1 jake is not going to impact the turkey population much if at all. In the states where you can shoot 4-6 birds a year and all were jakes, then without a doubt you would be damaging the population.