Shooting Jakes???

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by DrakeDuster01, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Scotty

Scotty Elite Refuge Member

Labz, Dont shoot anything other than 3 year old birds then, I dont want to see a picture of a 2 year old, because a beard doesnt make the trophy. I have seen Jakes be real spooky on public land down here, A turkey is a turkey. If I go to a state that costs me money a Jake will do, trust me..... Like I said since you are such an EXPERT, only 3 year old or older for you, is that a deal?

2. chcltlabz

chcltlabz Elite Refuge Member

Scotty, why am I not surprised that you would climb out of your hole for this.

You're a troll, trying to start something again.

I don't shoot jakes, could care less if someone else does, but don't try and play it off like they are just as hard to kill, and that they are just as great as a longbeard, because if that were true, no one would weigh their birds, measure the spurs or the beard, and there would be no such thing as record books for turkeys.

I (now listen up Troll, that's an I, not a U) will go home empty handed knowing I could have killed a jake. If I want a turkey that bad, I'll go buy one at the store that only costs a few bucks more than the shell I used to shoot a wild one. But then again, if you stop shooting jakes, then you learn more about hunting turkeys because you call to tougher birds, spend more time in the woods, etc, so you don't go without, you go find another.

I tell you what, I won't shoot anything but 3 year old birds and older when you don't shoot anything but jakes. Deal? You won't mind passing on that 2 year old bird, will you?

3. OutaShells

OutaShells Elite Refuge Member

A question for those of you who have many many years of experience. How do you tell the difference between a 2 and 3 yr old bird as it is sneaking through the woods? Maybe you could if they are side by side out in an open field, but I don't think anyone can tell until they actually get the bird in hand.

4. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

you've been killing 5 a year since you were 10 years old:clap :cool:

5. Scotty

Scotty Elite Refuge Member

Brent,
    My point was you are climbing on your ego high horse again.. I am the man I have killed a longbeard every year.... So... Here is a question. If you measure success by killing a longbeard every year, than to what degree is that a great feat. I mean if you kill your birds on a piece of private property that you are the only one who has ever hunted it, does that make a better bird than say an osceola Jake on public land in Florida? I think not....2 year olds can be just as dumb as any jake.. I know you hunt Aberdeen Proving grounds, and from what i am told there are so many birds there that it is fairly simple, is that as good as a Jake in the Virginia Mountains of the GWNF? Maybe? Maybe not. There are many arrogent people like you that feel they are the man, when it all boils down to it, they are not, no one is at this game, keep that in mind. If you take a man that travels a lot, hunts many different states, public land, and kills his birds, that is as close to the man as it gets, not just because someone sits on the edge of their field and bushwahcks a turkey every year. I am not saying private land tuirkeys are pushovers, I am not as arrogant as you, NO turkey is a pushover. I had my butt kicked for 2 years on a field bird, with 1 7/8 inch hooks and an 11 3/4 inch beard,until I finally decided to bushwhack him, hey there is a time and place for everything.... Now that was a trophy!!
    I killed a jake in VA last year, 4 of them came in strutting and gobbling, that was as exciting as any turkey hunt I had ever been on... Which bird do I hold as a bigger trophy NEITHER!!! Get it?

6. chcltlabz

Poor, Simple Scotty. You don't know half of what you think you do. I hunted Aberdeen for the first time this year ever. That was one bird, and you bet, they are easy there. I took a bird in PA on public land too. What's your point? In fact, until 3 years ago, I didn't hunt private land, and the only reason I do now is because there isn't any public land around here. Now I'd be more than willing to come down to your neck of the woods and hunt public land next to you, but you'd just whine about "another Western Shore hunter invading your territory on the shore, when you very clearly peed on this tree, meaning it was yours".

If you hunt the same piece of land, year in and year out, public or private, and you shoot jakes every year on the first weekend, but one year you shoot a longbeard with a 12" beard, which one are you going to brag about? The jakes or that monster longbeard? My point is, there's nothing wrong with shooting a jake, and be excited, proud and everything, but there's nothing wrong with passing up that jake knowing you could have killed him, and waiting it out for a longbeard. That's how you will learn more about the woods, learn more about the turkeys you're hunting, and get to enjoy the hunt longer. And in your story, if you hold the jake as just as big a trophy, then why didn't you tell us about how long the beard and spurs were on it? Because believe it or not, you were more proud of the longbeard, because he was a mature specimen that was hard to kill and you worked for it. You should be. You should be proud of the jake too, but don't tell me about jakes being just as hard to kill, because day in and day out, they are not. Sure, there are tough jakes and there are easy longbeards, but that's not the rule, or the record books would be for the smallest birds, not the other way around.

I'm not going to sit here and measure weiners with you, because even if the people here don't, I do know what you're getting at. PM me if you want to remeasure.

7. LittandJake

LittandJake Elite Refuge Member

I will hunt for a longbeard until the end of season. if on the last day I haven't filled a tag and a jake walks by then he is dinner. I like the taste of turkey meat too much to go home empty handed.

8. chcltlabz

And if your hunting was anything like when I've been to MO, then you could have killed a ton of jakes early in the year. Think of the birds you've killed after you passed up a jake, and that's all I'm talking about.

To be off topic, I've never seen so many jakes as when I went to Missouri. Most of them wouldn't come in gobbling, but seemed like every other setup you'd have a jake come sneaking in. Of course, that was National Forest, so the pressure might make them a little leary.

9. DUCKGOD

DUCKGOD Elite Refuge Member

outta, Spur lenght, and girth, for starters, next would be beard conformation, then the overall size and appearence of the bird. if you've done it enough you can tell, its just like scoreing deer on the hoof.

10. swamp gunner

swamp gunner Senior Refuge Member

My first bird was a jake, I took him on my first turkey hunt ever. I followed up two weeks latter with a long beard. I then shot the first turkey that I called for my self it was also a jake. I'll probably shoot jakes in the future and don't look down on anyone who does harvest jakes, but I look at them sort of like training wheels. Of course this is me talking 2 weeks before season opens if I get my butt wupped a few times by a longbeard you can bet your bottom dollar the jakes in the area are at risk.