Shooting jakes?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by kstatemallards, Apr 17, 2007.

1. kstatemallards

kstatemallards Elite Refuge Member

I have seen a couple posts on various message boards about people shooting jakes and sometimes I wonder why. My question is; other than it being somebodies first bird or taking one with a kid, why would somebody shoot a jake? I would think they would let the jake pass and wait for it till next year. I shot a jake the first year I fall hunted and ever since then I refuse to take one because I know that will be one less longbeard next year. Im not trying to take anything away from someone who shoots jakes but I just want to see what everybody thinks.

2. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

My opinion is this...

What difference does it make to you? Where I hunt there are dozens of longbeards and dozens of jakes. I am not exagerating when I tell you that over a 3 day period last week we saw 35 to 40 jakes and an equal number of toms. If we shoot jakes I seriously doubt it's going to have any effect on the population. In other areas it may be different.

My sons and I shot 5 turkeys over those 3 days. Three were jakes, 2 were longbeards. We also let several jakes walk for no reason other than we wanted to see if the toms we were watching would also come in to our set-up.

However, if all we're seeing are jakes, they get shot. We like the meat. And you can't eat the beard, the spurs or the fan. We don't hunt strictly for trophies. But then we also shoot hen ducks!

You can hunt the way you like to hunt and so can we. Our way includes killing jakes. Yours doesn't have to.

Let's flip the question. Why not shoot the jakes? Are they somehow inferior and only fit for first time turkey hunters or kids? Does killing a long beard make you a better hunter? No, I don't think so. It's nothing more than a personal choice

Just my humble opinion, of course.

[​IMG]

3. mudhen

mudhen Elite Refuge Member

For me, jakes no longer offer much of a thrill.

Sure, I shot them earlier in my turkey hunting days, but now I just don't see the point of shooting a little bird that often runs right up to my calling. I think I called up 50-75 jakes last year alone.

As to eating; 150-250 waterfowl, 2-5 deer, dozens of dove/quail/pheasant, etc. each year fill my freezer plenty. I don't need more meat :)

I do lay off hen mallets and sprig for the most part. Dead hens lay no eggs.

Jakes just do nothing for me anymore except the promise of maybe living long enough to be toms the next year.

Same for fall turkey hunting. It just does nothing for me....

mudhen - CA

4. STINGER

STINGER Elite Refuge Member

I've never shot one either ............. I don't frown on it personally ........... but when I Turkey hunt I'm looking for a Tom ............... the biggest and baddest boy in the area ........... to me that is the challenge of Turkey hunting :tu

5. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

So again, what it comes down to is personal choice, right?

6. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Elite Refuge Member

I'll play devil's advocate...:dv

If you shoot a jake doesn't that mean you save a longbeard for next year (bigger, older, more mature = more challenging)?

7. slycoot

slycoot Senior Refuge Member

If you shot nothing but jakes throughout your life it would have to get boring after some number of years and you would eventually want to move on to bigger and better things and then their wont be quite as many mature birds. When you and your buddys ask eachother if you killed anything on opening weekend and you say you tagged out on jakes...

Now I know that jakes are easy to call in but a mature 2 year old aint quite to hard to work in either and it has much better measurements.

But all in all it is just preference and your own decision. Perosnally it has to be a swing daddy.

8. Scotty

Scotty Elite Refuge Member

quote Sure, I shot them earlier in my turkey hunting days, but now I just don't see the point of shooting a little bird that often runs right up to my calling. I think I called up 50-75 jakes last year alone.

Mudhen,

You are definately turkey god....

From what I understand, Rios pretty much run to anything, is this what you are basing your opinion on?

I shot a jake this year in SC and shot at another one.. I paid money for an out of state license, the hunting was extremely difficult and I felt lucky to have one of these "dumb" things come to me. Some years are better than others, so you take what you can get. I read a biologica; report that almost half of all jakes will die so shooting them doesnt really save longbeard for next yar, plus you are dealing with a 2 year old, if you are a TRUE trophy hunter you would want older birds... Two year olds can be even more retarded than jakes. I wont really shoot jakes in my own state, and of course I would rather shoot a longbeard, but times can get real tough on a trip an I like to eat turkeys, plus I have had some really cool hunts where Jakes have been involved. ITs like hen ducks, they are legal, its not your limit, dont worry about what other people shoot. If you do not want to shoot a jake, then dont, its that simple.

9. The Pintailman

The Pintailman Elite Refuge Member

Thats the truth. I'd like to see how many off my Rio's would run over you. :dv

10. Green is Gold

Green is Gold Elite Refuge Member

I have to agree with mudhen(for once ;) ) I don't shoot jakes because they do nothing for me. I've called in MANY jakes over the last few years and let 'em walk. If I killed 'em, my season would be long over by now. I used to let 'em walk thinking there'd be more toms the next year. I have to say I haven't found that to be the case. Seems like the numbers remain pretty stable from year to year. Numbers of jakes remain about the same and numbers of toms remain about the same--at least on the property I hunt. I have also seen a biological explanation for this, although I can't remember where. That all being said, I have changed my attitude toward others shooting jakes for purely selfish reasons I guess. If another hunter kills a jake on one of the properties I hunt, it means one less hunter in the woods that day (and possibly the rest of the season) This allows me to work birds undisturbed and it's a more enjoyable hunt for me.