Shooting jakes?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by kstatemallards, Apr 17, 2007.

1. honkin

honkin Senior Refuge Member

This week my dad shot a gobbler with a ten inch beard. I didn't have the gun on him, and didn't want to spook him by moving the gun from 12 oclock to 9 oclock with the turkey standing in the wide open, plus, now dad's tagged out in NC and will have to buy a VA license like I did to make this year's season last longer than 1 week. We hear another bird, real shrill gobble(typically tells me its a 3+ year old) off a little ways. We go set up on him. I'm sitting just south of a bend in an old logging path, and the ground inside the bend, opposite side of the path from me, is a few feet higher than the road. A turkey stretches his head up above the high ground, and I can tell he's a jake, just didn't have that gobbler look to him. He comes up on the high ground and sure enough, little 3 inch beard. Another bird comes up behind him with wattles red, and I say here's the old boy. Just like a smart old bird letting the youngster take the lead and risk danger. As he stands tall, I put him down. I race to the spot to where he's flopping and claim my trophy, a scrawny first year jake. There's only one way I can describe my feelings. That's one bird I'll never get to hear gobble.

If you want to shoot a jake, help yourself, but why do you turkey hunt? I have a deer hunter friend who once said, "There's no skill in shooting a turkey." This guy, God love him, buys corn and scatters it all over the woods to shoot deer, but doesn't think it takes skill to call up a turkey. Actually, the one bird he's killed, he used a hedgerow to sneak up on him. My question is where's the thrill? I turkey hunt cause I love to hear 'em gobble, strut, and I love to watch 'em show off. I won't begrudge anyone for taking a jake; they do taste better. But truely I felt sick when I realized what I had done this week. A gobbler can fool you in all kinds of ways, and I got fooled Thursday. I tagged out, and I feel lucky to have had some success this year, but next year when I enter the spring woods I will know that something will be missing. And I'll be sorry fo it.

2. olduckhunter

olduckhunter Elite Refuge Member

i'm not crochety. i shot a jake yesterday and was proud of it. he had a short beard of 9 1/2 in and only had 1 in. spurs and didn't weigh but 20 lbs. normally our jakes around here are bigger than that but i was happy. and just like an old bird he came slippin' in and circling around. but as you said they are stupid and he was and got shot.

old

3. muddhen

muddhen Senior Refuge Member

would you buy, every time i shoot a big bird my wife screams at me" quit shootin them big birds, you can't eat that beard, shoot me a jake"(true story)
    i shot me a big bird opening morning and thursday i smoked a jake for her. gonna smoke it again today.same thing with deer, i shoot at least one 60 lb.deer every year.

sometimes it is about the meat.

4. marsh-mello

marsh-mello Elite Refuge Member

I turkey hunt to try and shoot a TURKEY. Last time I checked Jakes were turkeys. ;) :dv :clap :grvn I shoot jakes and after reading my response would anyone of you "trophy hunters" want to come hunting with me?

Sometimes I can find all the thrill and excitement I need in a jake as well as a tom and I've shot my share of both. I'm not really that discriminating of a hunter when it comes to applying SELF IMPOSED standards to the game I hunt. I try to shoot only greenheads alot of times but sometimes I shoot a hen or two, sometimes I purposefully limit on teal. As long as I follow the law and its intent, what I do is my own business and applying my own personal standards or ethics to someone else hunting makes about as much sense as them trying to apply theirs to mine. If someone wants to "ask" they already have thier answer in my response. If someone wants to "condemn" then they alerady have that answer as well in my response. I try to be more diplomatic than Olduckhunter, but I also find his response as satisfactory and probably more to the point! As much as we all share the same passsion for hunting there are things about how it individually serves our spiritual needs that cannot be explained nor universally applied to everyone. Heck in going through different stages we as hunters it also changes/evolves for us. For those at the end of their journey you might just have to wait and exercise a little patience for the rest of us to catch up.

I read a small quote in waterfowl magazine that seems to apply here and alot of other places where this debate often "rears" it ugly head. I forget the latin phrase but it interpreted loosely to say..."in matters of taste it must not be debated".

Time to move on.

5. muddhen

i ain't sayin congratulations, i ain't sayin, i ain't sayin congratulations, i'm sayin, i might be sayin,congratulations.

6. Scotty

Scotty Elite Refuge Member

Quote:i'm not crochety. i shot a jake yesterday and was proud of it. he had a short beard of 9 1/2 in and only had 1 in. spurs and didn't weigh but 20 lbs. normally our jakes around here are bigger than that but i was happy. and just like an old bird he came slippin' in and circling around. but as you said they are stupid and he was and got shot.

old

Dude it sounds to me like you shot a 3 year old, do you know what a jake is?

I have neer heard of a jake having any spurs let alone one inch.. plus most jakes have about a 4 inch to 5 inch beard... unless you are being sarcastic, which I hope you are, it amazes how most of the internet experts are so un informed...

7. George

George Elite Refuge Member

I'm a novice at this crazy turkey hunting.

Last year I was real lucky (no skill involved) to kill a very nice Tom on the opener, after that I have been chasing them all over the place with zero results. I have put in many many hours and many many miles with a couple of close calls but no bird. Public land hunting out here in CA is extremely frustrating.

A couple of weeks ago after close to 12 hours in the field calling, waiting, getting soaked in the rain and close to getting hypothermia from the wind I had a jake come in. Guess what ? He's in the freezer.

I know I will get another Tom someday, but sometimes you get what you can get.

George

8. Browning_Gold

Browning_Gold Senior Refuge Member

i have shot 7 turkeys with my gun over the years mostly long beards and i am going to go with my bow for the first time this year and i know that if i have a jake standing in front of me at 20 yds i will not hesitate to shoot it at all.

9. olduckhunter

olduckhunter Elite Refuge Member

dude, you don't understand hillbilly turkeys nor the qualifications for them being mature longbeards. in this here country a jake is anything under 10 beard and 1 1/4 in spurs. a good bird here is normally around 11 3/4 to 13 in. beards and normally they'll have 1 1/4 to some up to 2 in spurs. the rest like i killed yesterday are runts. and i know turkeys. every hillbilly in these here parts knows turkeys.

old

10. muddhen

[QUOTE it amazes how most of the internet experts are so un informed...[/QUOTE]

we prefer to call it enlightened,actually i think the root of the problem might be OLD, i don't think he realizes that other people don't have it as good as we do,so their standards may be much lower. as for jakes having a 4 to 5 inch beard,why our birds bust the shell with that big a beard.

and OLD good job on killing that runt,we don't need that kind of inferior bird breeding our hens,before long we wouldn't have any good birds they'd all be 20 lb.runts.