Shooting jakes?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by kstatemallards, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Green is Gold

Green is Gold Elite Refuge Member

Obviously, you don't. A jake, by definition, is a first year bird. Some will have "tufts" for a beard and some may have beards up to 5" (based on my observations in my part of the country). NONE, and I repeat NONE, will have 1 1/4 in. or 1 in. spurs. Perhaps before you go chastising people for not wanting to shoot jakes, you should learn what one is. That may be your backwoods definition of a jake, but it's not what the rest of the world considers a jake. By that definition, I've killed a lot of "jakes" in my lifetime.

2. olduckhunter

olduckhunter Elite Refuge Member

hook line and sinker.

old

3. muddhen

muddhen Senior Refuge Member

i thought you were losing your touch there for awhile.

4. olduckhunter

olduckhunter Elite Refuge Member

oh ye of little faith.

never.

old

5. Blue Duck

Blue Duck Elite Refuge Member

We can shoot 3 turkeys a year here. I like to get one big tom, but after the picture is taken they are for eating. A jake is much better on the table.......

6. LittandJake

LittandJake Elite Refuge Member

:l :clap :clap :l :no :l was that a treble hook? good form old!

7. muddhen

muddhen Senior Refuge Member

and i think i smell stink bait.

8. Scotty

Scotty Elite Refuge Member

Thought you knew.. good one!! :clap

9. Txduckhunter

Txduckhunter Senior Refuge Member

Passed 2 jakes a couple of weeks ago, enjoyed the show that the "dominant" bird put on for us. It was also one of the very few times I've had a jake come in gobbling on our place - usually they sneak in on us.
    I carried another guy out this past weekend for a hunt. We had a hen on Fri morning and never heard a gobble that morning. Around 1pm, we moved to an area that I knew held birds and set up. Sure enough, we had 4 birds come in on us, including 1 jake. Due to my hunting partner being in an accident the week before, he couldn't get the gun shouldered up w/out being busted by any of the birds.
    Sat morning, we called in a bird that I would have passed on. He was small bodied, had a 10"beard and only one spur. Guess we won't be calling him "lucky" anymore - a load of #4's got him out of the gene pool.
    One thing I've always been impressed w/about turkey hunters is the slap on the back given when a TURKEY is finally shot. Doesn't matter if it is a jake or one of Old's mountain birds. I was slightly astonished (and somewhat embarrased) to read this thread and see the dogpile that has ensued.
    Personally, I don't shoot jakes. I've shot one and it is the only bird I've ever felt bad about shooting afterwards. To add insult to injury, my daughter shot not 15 minutes later and it was an 11 1/2" bearded bird. I will never live it down.......:eek:
    I also am one of the guys mentioned who won't shoot an immature buck. If I need meat, I can shoot a doe or does. There is also a Brookshires right down the street so I am assured that the freezer will be full regardless of how the hunt turns out.
    With all that being said, if you want to shoot a jake by all means shoot a jake if it's legal. I'll be one of the first ones to pat you on the back.

10. LittandJake

LittandJake Elite Refuge Member

well put. I agree 100%:tu