Shooting modern-made (last 30 years) Remington guns can be hazardous to your health.

Discussion in 'Louisiana Flyway Forum' started by Engstfeld, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Engstfeld

Engstfeld Elite Refuge Member

Knew a guy who bought one and second hunt in had a buck of a lifetime come out. Very experienced hunter. Took it off safety and tried to squeeze the trigger. Nothing. Toggles the safety again. Still nothing. Pulling as hard as he could, boom, the rifle goes off. Of course he wasn't holding a steady bead. He wrapped that POS around a tree when he climbed down.

I'm sure most of them are good guns. But they have more problems than most manufacturers and then try to pretend there's no problem? I'll never buy anything from them.

2. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

I've got a couple Remington rifles and 4 or 5 Remington shotguns. All great guns. I guess I got lucky, but they are older. Come to think of it, out of the dozens of guns I own, not one is a true turd. Of course some I like better than others, but they're all solid. Only gun I've ever held and shot that was a true POS was a mossberg.

3. Dale C.

Dale C. Senior Refuge Member

4. ericDC

ericDC Elite Refuge Member

They fired a bunch of people recently as well.

5. JHerr

JHerr Elite Refuge Member

So why'd they switch from the Walker trigger to begin with? I've never had an issue with mine.

6. JHerr

JHerr Elite Refuge Member

Had the trigger been adjusted? Had the dude shot the rifle before? Walker trigger or X-Mark pro?

7. TheDuckSlayer

Oh and a Hi point pistol.. POS capital S

8. jrchip1

jrchip1 Elite Refuge Member

Remington Auto's (1100-1182) and 870 PUMP used to be my "go-to shotguns" for 100% reliability. My 1182 did require some maintenance after 30+ years of use(and banging a gator on da head). Prior to that, it always worked 100%. I recently bought a fancy, new A5 Browning and it jams a lot. Once when I sat the stock down onto the bottom of the blind, it discharged. Scared the she-ate out of me. I've NEVER had that happen before. I'll give the A5 another try, and assume it was maybe "operator error".

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  9. Engstfeld

Engstfeld Elite Refuge Member

I think the older Remingtons were fine guns. Somewhere in the mid-80's, the quality control went down. JR, that's a bit scary. Be honest....did ya forget to put her back on safety? Even so, they say if you drop a gun down hard enough, most will fire...depends on the safety though.

JHerr, you're right to ask about the trigger. Too many nimrods out there (and I have a dumb@ss cousin who does it) are going with hair triggers nowadays. They want the rifle to fire as soon as they put a half-pound of pressure on the trigger. Scary if you ask me.....and stupid.

10. TheDuckSlayer

Like me triggers to break at 4 lbs