Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

Shop Size?

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by SwampRatNC, Apr 5, 2017.

1. SwampRatNC

SwampRatNC Refuge Member

I will be heading off to Taxidermy training this summer up in Montana. My goal once done with training is to start my own business, mostly birds with the occasional deer. How much space does one need to inorder to do taxidermy work on birds compared to larger animals. Doing it in my garage is out of the question I do have a 12x16 foot shed that I could start out in and then move up in size if needed.

2. Brad's Birds

Brad's Birds Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I don't think you can have "too much" room. I built my shop as large as allowed in my subdivision which is 30 x 30 story and a half, 9' ceiling, bathroom, double sink, central AC/heat, hot water heater. The upper room was initially designed to be the show room, which it was for a couple years, but didn't work so well with guys going up stairs in muddy boots, hot temps despite central AC, etc.... so that is now a "man cave" for my kids and my 30x30 work area got split nearly in half with the showroom downstairs. My work area is definitely too small. For birds, it is OK most of the time. Higher ceilings are helpful if that's possible. Turkey mounting time it gets really tight with several turkey mounts drying at once. Swans and other large birds have to be planned when there is room. I'm a one-man-shop so if I had employees, I would have to make more room. The longer you are in business, the more freezers you will need (hopefully) so plan for those.......etc.....

3. SwampRatNC

SwampRatNC Refuge Member

Thanks for the information. I just got my 1st piece of equipment the other day a bird fleshing machine, my next piece will be an airbrush.

4. Trophyduck

Trophyduck Elite Refuge Member

Organization is the key! I know, I'm TERRIBLE about it!! Mine is 30x30 and good for me, especially if I keep it clean and organized. I do agree though, bigger is better if you have the room.