Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Shoreline set or open water?

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by likesbigspreads, Jan 29, 2018.

1. likesbigspreads

likesbigspreads Elite Refuge Member

Trying to utlilize my duck club for snows this year. I am in a great migration corridor as well as staging area for a major amount of snows. I can either hunt along the shoreline with a loafing/floating spread of socks and floaters or from my open water blind that we can put along the bank or 50 to 100 yards off the bank. The shoreline is only about 30 yards from timber is my main concern. I do not know if putting socks along the shoreline would be natural since it is so close to the old growth trees. But, my duck blind sticks out as well. I have seen snows along the shore when there are here, but most of the time they are out in the middle of the lake. The lake is 2000 acres and no one will be hunting any of it.

The pic shows the spots I was thinking about hunting. The one in the water is our blind that is about 75 yards or so from shore. We did spend the day yesterday cutting some trees and buck brush off the point of this island yesterday. Hiding on the shoreline would be my other concerns.

What would you guys do?

Attached Files:

2. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

Hiding on the shoreline is easy, wear white and lay amongst your decoys. I'd vote for whatever gets you the most white out there and gives you the most open area. Being under the flight path is key IMO. For what you described, you'll kill birds no matter where you setup. How you go about it and how you adjust to how they work will determine how successful you are. And if you are willing to change your setup you could have some very very good late afternoon/evening hunts.

3. likesbigspreads

likesbigspreads Elite Refuge Member

Never thought about laying out in whites. Will def try that out, thanks. Shoreline is a little muddy, wondering if regular chest waders and a white hoodie would work? As far as being flexible, we are, this is new to us so we will be changing things daily if its not happening right for us.

4. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

I use backboards and I wear camo overalls or waders depending on conditions, then a white jacket.

likesbigspreads likes this.
  5. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

White hoodie and bibs is what we wear in fields, waders and hoodie would be fine. If you are picking things up daily, an all floater spread for late afternoon/evening hunts can be deadly, especially the last 30-60 minutes. For all around hunting or if you're leaving things setup, I'd do the shoreline/floater spread. You could also place alot of your decoys closer to the trees and leave the more open shoreline as your open area for them to work.

6. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

Select the location on your property that provides the birds with the least amount of obstruction on their approach to your spread on the most prevalent winds. Generally, a location that will work for South and/or North prevailing winds. We hunt our duck spot and have been doing so for approximately 10 years now. We have adapted our field/holes so that there is the least amount of obstruction for the birds approach including keeping the edge or our pool clear of standing crops/corn etc. We even go as far as removing grown up willows in a ditch that runs East/West through our property and field to our water. I suppose some would say that is overkill but if we are going to set 1800 decoys we want it "right". We hunt from a pit on the edge of our water pool and the dry field so we run some big strings to the NE (SW wind) and to the SE (NW wind) and then put big wads of decoys in and around our pit and into the water.

The less obstruction in the way the better IMO. Obviously want to get covered up so if you can do all of what I prescribed and stay hidden then you could be in for a show.

Good luck.

7. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

Snow Goose Layout.PNG

This is a view but kinda hard to see exactly what I'm talking about. The darker left hand section is completely flooded over to the distinct lighter field edge (West levee to East). If you look very closely you can see a pit that sits on the edge of the water(dark) and field(light) edge. The middle ditch that runs East to West is the one I mention above is where we cut willows down. The water is clean/open from directly around/behind the pit and probably 40 yards into the pool area which in total is only about 25 acres. The field to the East is a bottom and runs about 60 acres to the East (it is all bottom ground to the start of the ditch which you can see in photo). There are not obstructions to the East at all. On the South you can see a tree line but that has not impact on our birds. There is also a tree line to the West but that does not have any impact either. I hope to get the drone out this year and get some photos/video of the layout with spread set. Will try to post up once we have things in place this year.

Good luck.