Short Corn Suggestions

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by DagoDucks, Dec 30, 2013.

1. DagoDucks

DagoDucks Senior Refuge Member

I am looking for some suggestions on short corn for the ducks. Our main field that we flood for ducks has about a 12" rise from one end to the other. I would like to plant a shorter growing corn in the shallower areas to get the ears closer to the water. I have seen the shorter growing season varieties but not certain as to whether they translate into shorter stalk heights. We planted a 90 day corn this past year but it was still much taller than what I was looking for. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Muscooten Bay

Muscooten Bay New Member

http://www.canamaizeus.com/products/

Canamaize is a very short corn. Max height is 4.5-5'. With ear placement 1-2'. 65-69 day maturity allows for pond, field, wetland, etc. to dry properly before being planted.

Deer do love this variety though, so be careful planting in highly populated deer areas.

MB

3. DagoDucks

Anyone on here have any experience with this Canamaize? What kind of yield should I expect? I noticed it talked about the thin stalks, would it be susceptible to falling over? Not a bad thing I guess considering it would be easy for the ducks to get at. What about planting dates, is there a preferred planting range. We ran into a problem this year where our corn was freeze killed before it had completely dried down and the kernels never did dry out and the ducks stayed away from it. Wondering if the snow geese will be as picky about the kernels on their trip north?

4. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

No experience here, but the site Muscooten Bay gave you, said they have a 65, or 69 day variety, and in 50# bags. With the traits that are loaded into it, it might be best to contact them on pricing and quantities needed, for an order;) You may be in for "sticker shock"!!
    Sure isn't a 90 day like you had frost problems with!!:tu

5. AGS1

AGS1 Refuge Member

Planted canamaize a few years ago, stalks short in height and ears close to ground but not very happy with yield. ears extremely small, half to a third the size of conventional ears and seed is expensive.

6. Fowlballer

Fowlballer Elite Refuge Member

How accurate was there claim to the 65 day maturity. They also claim that you can broadcast it and no seed drill needed. I would like to here more on your experience with it.

7. AGS1

AGS1 Refuge Member

Maturity was about 65-70 day, we used it in a field that we could only get 6" - 8" of water into. Don't know about broadcasting as we used conventional 4 row JD 7000 planter. Sat in a standing corn field last fall goose hunting and noticed that the ears where very close to the ground, maybe 12" - 14", and would have perfect for the field we planted with canamaize. Why not check with your local seed dealers regarding a variety they carry with a low ear height trait. Not sure if broadcasted seed corn will germinate, I doubt it will.

8. Fowlballer

Fowlballer Elite Refuge Member

Exactly why I asked about broadcasting it, I don't buy it either. The 65-70 day maturity is the appeal for us. Thank you for the information, it is appreciated.

9. Muscooten Bay

Muscooten Bay New Member

Canamaize isn't going to produce a "normal" yield compared to field corn. 70-80 bpa is about as high of yield as one can expect with it. And it's also why it's recommended to plant it at 40-50K.

One is much better off using a normal maturity field corn, but you're going to be very hard pressed finding a hybrid with an ear height lower than 3 feet. It's simply the way corn plant breeding is designed today.

We have used it in the past with moderate success, but it was in a spring that was very wet and using a normal hybrid maturity simply wouldn't work planting in late July in IL.

10. DagoDucks

Was your moderate success based upon ducks using it or actually producing decent ears? Thanks for the info.