Short Corn Suggestions

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by DagoDucks, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Muscooten Bay

Muscooten Bay New Member

2. DagoDucks

DagoDucks Senior Refuge Member

Here are a couple of pictures of the Canamaize we planted this year. All of our corn was planted on May 25th and had the same application of anhydrous put on it. The first picture shows the difference in height from our "regular" corn vs the 72 day RoundUp Ready Canamaize. The second is a closeup of the difference in ear size.
    I have to say I am pleased with the Canamaize at this point. We needed a corn that placed the ears closer to the water and this is working out just right. Yet to be seen is if the ducks will utilize it.

Attached Files:

3. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

Looks good

4. rdj.olympia

rdj.olympia Senior Refuge Member

We planted some corn in rows and broadcast some as well. The corn that was broadcast was gone over with the tiller set high so just barely touched the ground and then it was rolled with a sod roller. Great germination and next year we are going to spread it in rows by hand and then till lightly so we should be able to cut our planting time in half. We have poor soil with rocks so always looking for an easier alternative.

Here is a picture

[​IMG]

5. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

Any ears ? Looks pretty thick for poor ground.

6. rdj.olympia

rdj.olympia Senior Refuge Member

I asked the guy we bought the corn from and asked about thinning and he said just poor the nitrogen to it. It is starting to tassle out. Next year I think we might try this method except planting in rows. Another thought is I saw them working on a corn maze and they were walking thru the corn thinning it to create the paths. Should work fine to get the separation you are trying to get. Might even try thinning some this year. How much room between rows would you recommend? Thanks

7. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

I think 30" is pretty standard but also depends on soils. More is not better in many cases. It will look pretty coming up but if too thick may not produce cob. We have periodic problems with volunteer corn. Can try to cut out some rows in between but would typically do that sooner rather than later so what you have can finish and produce.

I would always side on the conservative side and while it may be hard to do plant thinner rather than thicker in most scenarios.

Giddyup!

8. da fowl slayer

da fowl slayer Elite Refuge Member

Go with field corn. No matter the height of the corn if ducks use the plot they are gonna get the corn. That way you don't have to deal with loss of yield
    With taller corn it will last longer as well. I don't want the corn at water level. They will eat it all very quickly!!!!!

Never broadcast corn too expensive!!!!!

9. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

20" to 24" rows.

30" is almost too wide and you will have weed competition unless you spray a bunch.

I don't think you can put too much N on corn. If you can get your hands on chicken manure it is high in N.

10. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

Agreed. Nitrogen is like crack for corn!!!!

If you keep the weed competition down by doing a little spraying and then add some Nitrogen that stuff will absolutely take off.

We have had very good success using granular urea (nitrogen) and spreading with our ATV broadcast spreaders. Even if you don't go crazy with the poundage that is often recommended you would be surprised how much good a little nitrogen will do on the duck hole!

Good luck.