Short of getting derailed.....

Discussion in 'Washington Flyway Forum' started by WidgeonmanGH, Dec 29, 2017.

1. WidgeonmanGH

WidgeonmanGH Elite Refuge Member

3shot and I will be hitting the Nisqually today. If you happen to be out and about be sure and say hi!

This will be 3shots last hunt prior to school starting back up for him so his last hurrah. I will have a few left.

:tu:tu

Wareagle1 and Constructeur like this.
  2. ckp160

ckp160 New Member

I see what you did there with the title..... clever.

3. All Day

All Day Elite Refuge Member

How was it?

4. WidgeonmanGH

Really terrible. It rained all day which you don't mind if there are birds. We got our spot but there were just not any birds on our part of the marsh. I saw less than 100 ducks all day. Heard the guys up McCalister got some shooting but didn't sound like it was off the hook or anything. The extreme tide 14.5 going to a -1 or something like that, combined with the 25 mph winds meant that our paddle back to the ramp was very nautical. First part was fine but the last part took the better part of an hour for us to get across and out of the current and wind and wind our way back to the ramp. (we were getting drug out to sea) We won't hunt those particular conditions again especially this late.

Son did an epic 50 yard army crawl on a drake mallard that landed all by himself, and nailed it. I killed a hen teal and drake buffle.

Birds have either moved south or are just spread out inland on the sheet water.

Still love getting out with my son and we have a good story or two. :)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  5. Constructeur

Constructeur Senior Refuge Member

^ Still beats staying home and doing chores :)

6. All Day

Awesome. I love this stuff. I low crawled fifty yards in a muddy field MANY years ago for my first canada goose.

Constructeur likes this.
  7. rdj.olympia

rdj.olympia Senior Refuge Member

I can report that the birds were dropping into the valley in good numbers yesterday. Was out there in the morning and someone was hunting with spotted success, back at 11:00 and 3:00 and birds dropping from the heavens all three times I was out there. Should be good the next morning........right? Well there were some birds around but not the numbers I would have expected. Given the dramatic change in habitat in the Nisqually basin birds are coming thru this area and not spending much time at all in the valley like they used to. It takes more than a shot of sheetwater to keep ducks happy. The losses we have seen in wetland habitat have had a huge impact. Don't have the big flights of birds that used to fly up and down the valley and they don't stick around long. Here today gone tomorrow.

All Day likes this.
  8. WidgeonmanGH

I think the birds got blown off the saltwater and I will be surprised if they come back. They might if we have a week of nice sunshine, otherwise they are going to just keep going south. The peek migration may be over this year for the Nisqually (that is my theory).

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  9. All Day

Well said Bob!