Short reed goose orgin?

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by BAYDOG, Mar 19, 2018.

1. BAYDOG

BAYDOG Moderator- Diver, NY Forum, Refuge Classifieds Sponsor Moderator Flyway Manager

Phelps,New York (Heart of the Finger Lakes)
    Who designed the first short reed goose call? Bet they wished they'd have patented that lol. It seems Foiles made them famous, but I know there is more to it.

2. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Anyone know if Foiles is still in business? I,ve contacted phone numbers listed on his ROK Outdoors site but haven,t received any call backs after leaving multiple messages. Got and old Strait Meat Goose call in need of freshing up and retune.

3. William Reinicke

William Reinicke New Member

I am by no means an expert when it comes to knowing this. I know the original clucker guts that Knight and hale made were some of the very first guts made for short reed goose calls. With that being said, after people blew them for some time they broke in and created their own groove and had that groove remade. For example if you look on Saunders website and their goose gut systems, they even advertise them as remakes of his own clucker guts thats were blown for 12 years. Even his standard red guts are very similar to the original clucker guts but have a different cut on the bottom and the wedge has grooves cut in the bottom of them. As far as patenting, I would assume that once companies had this groove in their original clucker gut remade, they werent going against the patent (if there was one) because it was different due to the broke in groove. Please people correct me if I am wrong but this is what I have assumed since I have buddies who have created calls and small companies and have found ways around patents that other companies may have.

4. Kendall Steffensen

Kendall Steffensen Senior Refuge Member

My guess is Charlie Hess can be credited with the first short reed.

Kendall

cnegeese801 and OneShotBandit like this.
  5. Rangerbob

Rangerbob Senior Refuge Member

Tim Grounds made them famous long before Foiles. Tim credits Hess for the design.

6. 30# MERGANSER

30# MERGANSER Senior Refuge Member

I believe Ranger Bob is right I remember when Foiles and Zink both sold Grounds calls at the shows

7. Waterdog Trainer

Waterdog Trainer Senior Refuge Member

I would agree that Grounds probably had the first short reed. Although it may not be considered a true short reed the half breed has been around for a long time. Not selling it short but it's nothing more than a re-tuned cut down Guides Best. The Guides Best was the beginning of Foiles and Zink after winning many a contest. While they were both very proficient Zink was awesome on a Guides best. Grounds also produced wood short magnums and a light colored wood short reed I can't think of the name. I also agree the K&H Magnum clucker was one of the first mass produced short reeds. This was one of the first short reeds I owned and learned to transition from the flute. It is a great call even to this day. I'm sure there are many on here who probably know more.

cnegeese801 likes this.
  8. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

Hess created the short reed gut style. K&H made them mainstream with the Magnum Clucker. Grounds took them to what they are today.

9. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

That K & H was a killer, I never got the hang of it. First guys I ever saw using a Cut down/ short reed call was allen or gary MCcree ( i can't remember which). It was basically a cutdown guides best/ a-50 type call. This was a year or two before grounds blew one in competition. Grounds certainly pioneered it in contest calling.

cnegeese801 likes this.
  10. 30# MERGANSER

30# MERGANSER Senior Refuge Member

a guides best and a half breed have different reeds the half breed is a true short reed call