Short reed goose orgin?

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by BAYDOG, Mar 19, 2018.

1. dukkalr

dukkalr Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Charlie Hess son invented-created the short reed, Charlie machined them after his son invented them,,, look back at any of Charlies old posts and his signature almost always says,,,, "Father of the Inventor" of the sort reed,,, and he said his son created them many many times there after,,,as far as KnH goes, who knows the true story other than Charlie , his son and KnH about how KnH came about with their first set of guts,, take a guess,,,,,,,,Tim Grounds made the short reeds popular, i agree with this totally,,,, i can remember Tim using a short reed for one of the first few times at a contest and i heard him talking to some of the other callers and him telling them this was the future of goose calling, none of them knew what to think and neither did the judges, he got creamed by every flute in the building that was any good,,, but within a year he had almost every contest caller using short reeds,,, the rest as the say,,, is history

2. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

True... a half breed isn’t even a true short reed, it’s almost a hybrid, but it’s an absolute killer in the field.

Keith McGowan won 3 worlds on a short reed 9 years before anybody else won on one. The technology was there, people just chose not to use it.

Keith McGowan likes this.
  3. kellys

kellys Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

It was Charlie Hess and his son Keith. KnH stole the original sound board design, They used to be friends of Charlie. Not after that crap though. KnH were just **** poor turkey call makers until that happened. NEVER gave Charlie credit or a cut of the sales.

4. NCBADGES

NCBADGES North / South Carolina Flyway Moderator Moderator

This guy....
    2018041795174045.jpg
    It's for sale, btw. :yes

5. DrakeStar

DrakeStar Elite Refuge Member

I see you have finally stepped up your picture taking from the out of focus blurry pics of years past :dv :tu

6. NCBADGES

NCBADGES North / South Carolina Flyway Moderator Moderator

I know...my reputation is gonna be ruined.:dv