Short reed tuning...broken in guts.

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by Wade Walling, Mar 21, 2008.

1. raspy man

raspy man Senior Refuge Member

Wow Wade, that's great! Thanks so much!!!!!

2. BLKFTDN

BLKFTDN Elite Refuge Member

3. DuckFanDan

DuckFanDan New Member

After shaving the reed, does the shaved side go up (facing away from the tone channel) or down (towards the tone channel)?

4. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Elite Refuge Member

Up..

5. Ben Perez

Ben Perez Elite Refuge Member

Find the bend and make sure the reed bend is down. There is a saying "the side that bows down, goes down". So it depends if you have the bend right but that shaved part should always be facing you (away from the toneboard/tone channel):tu

6. Wade Walling

Wade Walling Elite Refuge Member

Here's what I do:

I take a coarse grit emery board and "rough up" the bottom of the reed. Just 2-3 swipes. Then I put the shaved side of the reed down-so it lays on the toneboard.

The reason for this is that when air hits a full un-shaven reed it has a hard time grabbing the reed to get that reed to vibrate, but when the reed is roughed up on the bottom side when the air hits it- it can "grab" it and vibrates a lot easier. You can actually get the sound and feel of a full reed and also the sound qualities of a shaved reed by doing this.

Wade

7. Lip Shooter

Lip Shooter Elite Refuge Member

I have notice several little notches on Grounds reed board. Two lower ones and one upper one. I am *** uuu mmming that the bottom two are lowest one is for the barrel, the next one is for the top of the wedge, and the top one humm I do not know.

Let me know how far off I am on my assumptions.