Short sightedness(myopia) in retrievers

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Slick, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

I've learned that habits are also formed by the terrain they typically hunt in. If you've trained your dog to do longer lines in the blinds but typically hunt thick wooded or marshy areas where you can hardly see out of the hole then there is a good chance they develop more of a popping habit. If you condition them to distance and then mostly hunt open water, rice checks, etc. then you get better performance. Probably a good idea to mix things up or make a point to keep that polished in between hunts but difficult to do for folks working 10-12 hours a day.

Kevin

2. Slick

Slick Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for all the helpful info. A lot of what was said was confirmed by a bunch of my pro trainer friends. Feeling a bit relieved now after the time I spent researching and choosing the breeding I wanted, cost of pup, my 3 mos OB training and field intro work and what I have been paying my pro trainer since October. Not sure yet if the problem can be resolved if it's anatomical and unfortunately if not.....well, will be looking at getting another pup for the trial game and end up w/ a good gundog and trial dog.