Shot show

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by joecitrano, Jan 25, 2018.

1. joecitrano

joecitrano Senior Refuge Member

what are the new latest n greatest decoys unveiled at the shot show?

2. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

My friend is there,he said there isn' much to really talk about.He said a lot of companies bugged out as the price of the booth got pretty steep. He also said it seems more LE and Tactical oriented this year.

3. aythya

aythya New Member

Nothing really new this year as far as decoys. The SHOT Show is always a great time.

4. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

A buddy has been working the show for a few years now and said that the public attendance was down. Stricter security was the lack of attendance.

5. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I've been to over 25 of them. The LE/Tactical exploded over the last decade, but this year wasn't much different in that regard. I honestly can't think of a decoy company which was there last year but not this year. Could be wrong. It has changed a lot though since the 90s. From '79 to the 90s, it was a "buying show" where dealers came to write orders, see new product and find new companies. By the early 2000s, it became a "showing show," and there was very little buying going on. That made it really difficult for the smaller companies to justify the expense. They get a better bang for their buck at buying group shows and through reps visiting dealers. Call companies are a great illustration of this. At one time game calls was a big category. This year there were 11 game call companies exhibiting, only a few of those were independent and only two independents were waterfowl call companies.

LE/Tactical have their own wings at SHOT, but there is definite overflow onto the two main floors. The stats I heard this year to put the size of the show in perspective is that if you walked every aisle, you would walk over 14 miles. Also, if you wished to look at every booth, and started at opening on Tuesday and didn't stop until close on Friday, you would have 20 seconds per booth. I did not see every booth, but I did walk over 14 miles.