Shotgun advice

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Silentnswift, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Silentnswift

Silentnswift New Member

3 years ago I got hooked on waterfowl hunting and bought a stoeger m3500 as I couldn't afford a sbe2 at the time. This was the first and only auto loader I have ever owned. I have had zero issue with it, and killed quite a few birds the last few years. After handling a sbe3 I want one. I just hate to spend that kind of money on a shotgun because it's the latest greatest. So what would you guys recommend as far as chokes. I get confused with all the new wads being used these days.

2. Gander

Gander Elite Refuge Member

Buy what you desire. I consider a duck gun to be a relatively inexpensive part of being a duck hunter. Between shells, waders, truck, boat, decoys, calls, etc. Its just another expense. If you're like most of us, you will buy lots of shotguns over the years. Some you will keep and some you will sell. At 50 years old, I've never regretted buying any of them. I've regretted selling a few though.

Just make sure it's really what you want.

Seaark18 and Squaller like this.
  3. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

You ought to broaden your scope, a tad.

10GAGENUT likes this.
  4. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

if what you have works for you , carryon ! it's the marketing we seemed to get caught up in thinking we can BUY , success !
    There's not many idems that impress other Waterfowlers more , than a full strap no matter what gun they're shot with .

callinfowl, 4 BUCK and ronaldo like this.
  5. Big Gun

Big Gun Senior Refuge Member

As pointed out above buying shotguns is part of the waterfowl journey. I use to buy a new one ever season to try. When I reached 30, I decided I had enough. To answer your question, in my Benellis, Vinci (regular and super) M2, Nova, SBE I shoot Carlson tubes IC and Midrange extended. I also use them in my Beretta, Stoeger and Franchis.

Silentnswift and ronaldo like this.
  6. BigSkyDuk

BigSkyDuk Senior Refuge Member

The SBE3 and Stoeger 3500 are essentially the same gun, so if the 3500 is still working for you I’d save the money. And I say that as a guy who is always looking to buy another shotgun.

7. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Friend of mine sold his SBE2 bought the Stoeger and hasn't looked back. Never seen him have a single problem with it, no click, no jams. None of the problems he had with his SBE2.

ED Vanderbeck likes this.
  8. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

While I wouldn't go so far as to say they are essentially the same gun, the rest of BSD's post is spot on.:tu

ronaldo likes this.
  9. Teal Tags

Teal Tags Senior Refuge Member

Why not buy the "Benelli" version of the gun you have and get a Affinity 3.5, heck of a lot easier to clean and has a slightly larger bore than the SBE III and will pattern steel slightly better, plus you'll have $1000 still in your wallet

10. BigSkyDuk

BigSkyDuk Senior Refuge Member

That’s fair... I meant that they are both short recoil “inertia” shotguns built under the same corporate umbrella. There are differences btw the Stoeger and Benelli to be sure, especially in the fit and finish department. Is the Benelli $1,000 better than the Stoeger? Only the OP can decide.

I happen to own a Stoeger M2000 that I bought 11 years ago when I was younger and broker. I did experience the “click” a few times, but the gun was largely reliable and when the time came for an upgrade I kept it as a backup. But I upgraded to a gas gun (Maxus) partly because I couldn’t see spending more money for the same inertia action shoulder punishment I was already getting for free :tu