Should Congress be able to invest in the stock market?

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by lugnut, Sep 29, 2017.

1. lugnut

lugnut Elite Refuge Member

I say hell no! Maybe they could get some actual work done instead of them trying to always increase their portfolio? This would include The Whitehouse too!
    What`s say you?

2. pintail2222

pintail2222 Elite Refuge Member

I say let them invest in mutual funds, ETFs major indicies - but not specific underlyings.

3. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

Not quite sure what you are referring to? Do you mean individuals in Congress and the Whitehouse? I don't understand, as long as they aren't breaking the law with insider trading or something like that why would it matter?

4. eel river

eel river Elite Refuge Member

Let'm invest however they wish. Sure, they've got an advantage. But they worked hard to get to congress and even voters trust them to ethically do the right thing or they would've have voted for them. Politics is a business and let them act like all the other ethically superior execs throughout the country. :joker

5. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 Elite Refuge Member

Government bonds..... similar concept. So why not?

6. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

OK, I see the point. And it would be so easy to do. Just outlaw it. What's it matter, their spouse can buy whatever stocks they want.

7. eel river

eel river Elite Refuge Member

Just get to know them, what boards they are on, how much in donations they are getting, where do their family members work and what legislation they are favoring.

8. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

I don't think it is law - but the expectation for Presidents is to put their assets in a blind trust that they cannot intentionally and specifically effect.

Something like that would be appropriate, in my opinion, for all sitting members of congress, as well as some upper level appointed types.

lugnut and API like this.
  9. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Too many people to tell no. Spouses...kids...extended family...staffers...lobbyists...etc...etc...etc...and all of their friends and families.

What about FDA people approving drugs...Pentagon workers buying stock in the company getting ready to be chosen for the new whizzbanger weapon system.

State department people letting contracts...

Wall bldg. companies.

And etc...etc...etc and their etc...etc...etc.

10. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

In addition to my comment and to answer the OPs question...I don't care if somebody gets rich because of stock market knowledge. They still have got to pay taxes on the gains.

I only care if they do it through corruption or something else nefarious.

As long as bombs go boom and bullets go bang and contracts are met I don't care.

What I do care about is Politically Classed contract and benefits being awarded by government agencies set aside for "minority" contractors. And government funded institutions giving diversity scholarships and jobs to meet the population of the area demographics. Done to the exclusion of others not in that class.

Now that's a travesty.

But...not germane to this thread.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017