Should I or not?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Fsbirdhouse, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Vandy Grift

Vandy Grift Refuge Member

I'd do it. Not sure about the cakes but I don't see how they could be bad. I would probably just boil them and eat them, or maybe use the tails in a recipe as you would shrimp. Perhaps an etouffee.

newduk likes this.
  2. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

^^^ This.

3. burgawboy

burgawboy Elite Refuge Member

Yes

4. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

While the crayfish and shrimp meats are similar to me, and would likely all taste fine mixed together. I would keep the crab separate.
    As far as a name mudbugs,.. well those southern boys are use to eating stuff from the muddy bottoms and think it taste good,.. why do you think they spice things to death to hide that bottom of the river taste to hide the real flavor:flame( OK let the flaming begin, I may be able to take it).

FS we use to go to Strawberry and catch our winter supply in August, we pulled traps that were so full and shedding off the sides and tops.

Here in Idaho weve tried a few places that were OK but not the stuffed traps from Utah. Ive only found one place with any number, on a good day 20 in an hours soak. miles below AF reservoir. But with the Selenium and phosphate algae bloom we dont eat much from below AF.
    Or favorite way is cooked tails and claws, boiled in saltwater, just turning color. dont overcook . then dipped in butter or butter/garlic salt
    Can you share on a PM where those embarrassing number of crawdads are on the Snake.

sdkidaho likes this.
  5. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

I've watched others pull in traps who arrived after us at MR (As you said I think) and pull a big trap and one small one from across river from where were casting for Bass.
    They probably had them in overnight. Huge amount in big trap. Only saw size of smaller trap after dumping in a big cooler.
    Thank you for mentioning about the Selenium. I hadn't heard.
    We devour the Bass and trout from down there, and of course they gorge on the Crayfish.
    Where had you heard about Selenium levels?

OH BTW: I have seen people wading along the shore directly below AF Dam flipping over rocks and doing quite well gathering them by hand (or perhaps small net?) Not like traps tho.
    I have at times had the Smallies disgorging large amounts of Orange or Green shells while reeling them in, and finding their guts loaded at cleaning.
    When nearly every fish, even small ones are doing that, you know they have a large supply.
    I have also seen folk setting traps at Ririe Res. We had our 5th Wheel at Heise Hot Springs, and one fellow put on a camp wide Crayfish feed from traps he took from Ririe Res each year.
    That's not the Snake, but it's loaded too!

One more question;
    How do I PM here?

6. Banded1

Banded1 Elite Refuge Member

That mixture sandwiched between some trout filets and cooked in an iron skillet would be hard to beat.

seiowa and newduk like this.
  7. Fishun Injun

Fishun Injun Senior Refuge Member

8. Fishun Injun

Fishun Injun Senior Refuge Member

We like our Women like we like our Crawfish....HOT...Juicy....Spicy....and.....Southern Fried!!!!

burgawboy likes this.
  9. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

You sir, are onto something great.

When I lived in the northern part of our state we used to run traps for the crowded/crayfish/mudbugs on some of our natural glacial lakes. Out of that cool clear water, it was some of the best eating you could imagine.

A few years ago in southern iowa in a river we caught some and damned if they didn’t taste like a mouthful of stagnant water and dirt.

When i trapped we made crayfish oil out of them too and it was a great attractant at pocket sets and in the back/bottom of 220 bucket sets. Stays nice and greasy and stinky even in the nastiest of cold.

Fowler267 likes this.
  10. AvianQuest

AvianQuest Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

A person would have to really go out of their way to screw up any dish that has Crawfish, Crab and Shrimp in it. Each one is stand alone good, and any two, or all three, just makes it better.