Should we hunt animals we don't eat?

Discussion in 'Hunters Rights Forum' started by The Other David, May 11, 2000.

1. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

This is an issue I struggle with when I'm not overwhelmed with the normal, day-to-day crises of modern life.

I shoot ducks and geese, and the occasional deer (lifetime total = 1). Everything I shoot (or catch, since I fish, too) gets turned into food.

Is it less moral to hunt for animals that are generally not used for food? For example, varmint hunters shoot lots of woodchucks, and eat very few of them. Same thing for crows and racoons, bears, mountain lions, and sea ducks.

Are we, duck and goose hunters, on a higher moral plane than our friends who pursue different game for different purposes?

This is an issue that the animal rights people love to jump on. Should we take a position?

David

2. Longlead

Longlead Senior Refuge Member

Well David
    I do feel the need to be conservitive, although I do not eat every duck I shoot. Sport hunting is done mainly for sport. I would rather eat domestic meats, and my family..... please, my girls would rather starve than eat duck. So I eat the duck by myself at dinner. Though I can't eat all of them. Do I feel bad?? No I don't!!!!
    Besides the guys at work really seem to enjoy the extras.

Just my opinion.

Get-em Doc
    JS

3. EMan

EMan Senior Refuge Member

David, I was brought up to eat what you kill. This statement is not in reference to Varmints. Varmints like rats, mice, ferrel cats and dogs, PETA, and other animals that cause damage and have little net income to nature.

That said, I grew up a trapper. I feel that the use of an animal for their fur is the same as eating their meat and throwing away their hid. Like stated in another post about battling Anti-groups, "humans are predators." We kill stuff. You can call it harvest or sportsmanship, what ever you like, but we kill stuff.

Like the great philosopher Ted Nugent once said. "You have to kill it, before you grill it."

Eric

4. Peregrine

Peregrine Elite Refuge Member

I was raised with the belief that there are only 3 reasons to kill.
    1. Food
    2. Protect family or property
    3. Material necessity (to make money)

#2 could contain killing rodents or other 'varmints' that destroy food crops or other property.

#3 Would pertain to trapping and furs.

I have recently begun thinking about predator control, escpecially coyotes and mountain lions. Before, I always figured that they had a right to survive, just as much as I do. And, I still think that. However, when populations go unchecked, then they are in direct competition for the same prey as I am. It then becomes predator vs. predator.

Peregrine

5. Cappy_TX

Cappy_TX Elite Refuge Member

Without justifying or rationalizing the reasons ... I've taken the following "non game animals" over the years.

Racoons, skunks, prarie dogs, fox, coyote, and crows. You'll notice that with the exception of prarie dogs (that the farmers and ranchers wanted removed), each of the others are all predators to both upland birds and waterfowl.

I received bounties for fox and coyote years back. In recent years I've taken most of these animals incidental to hunting. Crows have been intentionally hunted with decoys and calls.

6. Mark

Mark Senior Refuge Member

I feel as hunters we must all stick together. I feel that I am on no "higher plain" because I eat what I shoot. I have shot many varments to prevent crop dammage, and to gain practice for hunting dear.

I love guys like Longlead, I catch them in the refuge parking lot and get their ducks and geese cause "the family" doesn't like them. I'll take all the ducks and geese you can stand to give me. MMMM, I love duck and geese meat.

I went off subject. Look, we as hunters half to stick together on varmet shooting, trapping, and big game. You give the antis one inch and they will take the entire sport. The antis in Californai banned trapping. All trapping, even trapping to do migration surveys and desese (sp) control.

So although I don't practice trapping or predator shooting I am for it.

Mark

7. Botts

Botts Senior Refuge Member

I am curious as to how animals get rights? Rights are not god given they are human theroys. If a wolf kills do they feel remorse? I doubt it. But to the question I think it is all about population control. The more land humans populate the more we take from animals. there fore to many animals in too little habitat and food. Why watch an animal suffer through starvation if somthing can be done about it is my question.
    But that is only my theroy . Please pick it apart and teach me where I am wrong because education is key to getting a good outlook on the facts on population control.

------------------
    The Rookie
    Botts